• Dizzo
  • Dizzo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124251 by Dizzo
Doing some research was created by Dizzo
Hello, I am doing some research for the Forest Service and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer some questions or point me towards some good literature.

How long has recreational tree climbing and TCI been around?

Are there a lot of recreational tree climbers out there and is it a growing sport?

Is recreational tree climbing damaging to the trees or forest ecosystem and is there any kinds of techniques or rules that you follow to reduce the impact?

Do you frequently run into problems at national forests (i.e. restrictions on where you can climb, ect.)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124247 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Seems like that entire posts summarizes all of last years threads!

I might have more time to answer them tonight unless someone else gets to them first, but to sum it up,

a while,
yes, and yes
no, unless done carelessly. yes
yes

you're welcome!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124751 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Read this web site.
What Nick is saying is do your homework. Read this web site entirely. Most of your questions will be answered. Also look at the message board threads here for more in depth conversations.

Do you work for the National Forest Service? Is this a research paper or are you seeking material for the Service?

Nationla Forests are a favorite climbing area for us. Some rangers know we are climbing, others do not know; especially because we climb in remote areas and stay hidden on purpose as not to be yelled at and we seek the isolation of a wilderness setting.

There are thousands of us, and the numbers are growing. We do protect the trees we climb with good climbing technique that does not injure trees or the climber.

I am the founder of this sport. I am a certified ISA arborist by profession (27 years experience) and started the first recreational tree climbing school here in Atlanta 21 years ago.

You can get much more complete information by reading this web site. Set aside a full day to do this. There is lots of information here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124754 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic
Hello, "Dizzo"--

Yes, our "sport" indeed is growing. On this site and on the one at
http://www.treeclimbercoalition.org/
you can find comments how NewTribe, who makes excellent equipment for the recreational tree climber, has had quite significant increases in sales. I'd give you direct links, but would have to dig for them, and, as Treeman says, it really will be valuable for you to do some browsing to see what we're all about . . .

. . . which brings me to my next comment: indeed our activity could cause damage, but you'll find that we truly are careful and conscientious. We care very much about and for the environment. If damage is done, it almost assuredly is not done by one of us.

Enjoy your discoveries here! Come climb with us!

Peace.

Jim

• Dizzo
  • Dizzo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124760 by Dizzo
Replied by Dizzo on topic
Thanks for the help. I have been looking over the topics yesterday and they are all very informative.

In answer to your question, I don't work for the Forest Service. I work for a small think tank that is doing a short paper on future trends. One of the areas I'm covering is outdoor recreation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124765 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Dizzo, please tell more about what you're doing. You've piqued my interest!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124766 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Think tank
Dizzo,
Now you can inform me. What is a think tank. I have heard the term before but I am not clear what it is.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124772 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic
Dizzo,
In addition to the good info above, my site has some FAQ's on the topics you're looking into.

http://www.treeclimbingco.com/about.html#FAQ's

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds