Climbing the other side

• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123585 by ponderosa
Climbing the other side was created by ponderosa
I've certainly picked up some good technical tips and news from this forum, and I've tried to contribute some from my own limited expertise as well. I feel it's important, though, to occasionally revisist some of the essential core aspects of why we climb. So I put out the question: Why do you climb?

As part of my answer, below are links to some good quotes and sayings about trees. There's also a link to "The Man who Planted Trees" the great short story made into a wonderful animation piece. The story was intended by its author to be shared with all, but has recently been appropriated by a publisher who is forcing its removal from websites. The link below should still work however. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.pinetum.org/man_tree.htm

http://www.etni.org.il/quotes/trees.htm

http://www.treesatlanta.org/Quotes.html

[/i]"It's dry and spacious groves invite you to camp among them. Its shade is never too thin and never too dense. Its great boles and boughs frame many of the grandest views of snow-capped cones, Indian-faced cliffs, nostalgic mesas, and all that bring the world to the West's wide door...If you have been long away from the sound of the Western Yellow Pine, you may, when last you hear it again, close your eyes and simply listen, with what deep satisfaction you cannot explain, to the whispered plain-song of this elemental congregation."
-Donald Culross Peattie
Western Yellow Pine, also known as
Royal Pine
Pino Royale
pinus ponderosa
Ponderosa pine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123606 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Climbing the other side
Why do I climb? I thought of lots of reasons (e.g. exercise, challenge, play, relaxation, thrill, serenity, etc.), but I climb primarily because it is fun. If it were not fun, I would not climb.

• wct4life
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123706 by wct4life
Replied by wct4life on topic Climbing the other side
I climb for several diffent reasons. First off, considering that i know that my lifestyle isn't heathy, smoking, eating junk food, etc.., it helps to keep me fit. Second, there is something to be said about doing something that the vast majority of the world could not/would not be able to do. Albeit physically or mentally. Third, I find peace when i'm 80' +/- up. Something that I feel is lost in today's society. And forth, the pay isn't that bad either.:D

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds