Go outside!

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123283 by nickfromwi
Go outside! was created by nickfromwi
So who has been climbing lately? Don't tell me you're letting the cold keep you all cooped up inside!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123285 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic On Going Outside
I know that it is colder where you are than it is down here in the south, but that just gives you more bragging rights! You wanna climb in the cold, go for it. Meanwhile I'm staying right here beside my heater. You can tell me about it, I'll just sit here and listen.

Actually I've already logged over twenty climbs so far this month but they were all tropical rainforest. You should try it. Much more sensible than climbing in the cold.

Maybe I will go out and throw up a rope this afternoon. You have inspired me. It will give me a chance to remember why it is that I like the tropics so much.

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123286 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic I did, I did!
I went climbing on Tuesday morning. Tuesday night, it dropped 14 inches of snow on us. So it's cold as anything up here in the Hudson Valley. I tramped through about 2 inches of snow to ninja climb a red oak on campus by myself. I don't understand why kno one wanted to come.

Josh

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123287 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Go outside!
That's what I'm talking about!!!

I think people don't really understand how refreshing it is to go out in the cold. Yes, it's more difficult. You need more clothes and more care. But...I don't know. It's nice.

Don't limit yourself to just one or two seasons...enjoy them all!!!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123288 by bonsaik
Replied by bonsaik on topic Go outside!
I work in a Botanical Conservatory so I get to climb often. The trees are not gigantic but it is still fun when it is cold outside. I am rigging up a mist system that will spray visitors when they walk under a fig tree. So I will be setting it up tomorrow.
Luckily we get nice weather every couple of weeks so me and the kids can climb and swing in the trees at home.

Kenton

More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123291 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Today's climb
Do work climbs count? I cleaned out 2 large red oaks today at 50 degrees temp. Nice climb with a little branch walking to chase out dead wood. It was right by a major road (N. Decatur Rd. near Emory University). I had all of my yellow signs out (Quiet Please- Tree Surgeon at Work) and I was wearing red. Traffick backed up so there were lots of lookers at the treetops. Fun and a good workout.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123293 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Snowy Weather
We climbed saturday, elevations about 600' higher than my house (+70' for the trees!). You could feel the nip in the air only at the top of the tree. Saturday 12:00pm 60deg, Sunday 8am 19deg! We had 2"of snow and ice Sunday and Monday, sure am glad we were climbing Saturday!
I plan to go this weekend too, rain snow or shine!

Cam

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123294 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Go outside!
Temperature is in the 40s and the wind is out of the northeast at about 12-15 mph, and blowing right across a big lake before it its me, so it's good and cool. The tree surfing was great about 70 feet up in a yellow pine that had a fantastic view of the southern Appalachains, including places with great 125-150 foot trees like Possum Top and Cornbread Creek and all the way over to Conifer Cove. I went up three times to the top of the tree to practice descents with the new hyper bar on my new rack. Hey, it ain't a Petzl I'D, but it sure does give a smooth ride coming down the tree.

More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123295 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic outside
Just too cold sorry. With windchill in Kearney, Ne. yesterday it was -17. fingers got cold even in gloves, thats why I am here this am. But the sunlight is lasting longer already and soon will be TIME TO CLIMB.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

• harrywbarnhurst
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123296 by harrywbarnhurst
Replied by harrywbarnhurst on topic Cold Weather Climbs
I just got back from a nice, cold climb (I even got to do some surfing as the trunk I was on was doing quite a bit of swaying). We have had "Code Blue" temps for a while now. Today it is in the 20's but the wind chill is bringing it into the single digits . Speaking of digits, my biggest problem was with my thumbs. Once I got back in it took a while to get them moving again. I actually like to climb when it is snowing as it seems like it is a little warmer in the middle of a snow storm but that might be the beauty of the storm keeps my mind off the temperature.

During this mornings climb even the birds and squirrels were still in their beds. All in all it was a nice climb but I am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get my kids up there with me. Be well everyone and be careful.

In Peace,

Legolas

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123297 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic OK, Nick, you win!
You guys have made me feel like a wimp!

I finally gave up and went out and climbed yesterday. I drove my car down a dirt road into a public forest, wove my way through all the pickup trunks with their attendant hunters, found a relatively deserted spot to park and simply walked off into the woods. Half an hour later I had found myself a nice inviting white oak with a view over a swift moving creek, tossed a throwline, and was on my way up. Not particularly high and not for long, but a climb nevertheless.

The sight of a fellow human in an orange vest on the far side of the creek brought me down in a hurry. It wouldn't be much fun to have myself mistaken for wild game and come home with a bullet in my hide.

I will have to concede that it was worth putting up with the cold in order to get out in the fresh air and into a tree top.

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123360 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic I got out!
Text It was low 40's sunny and just a gentle breeze. Snow is starting to melt, you can see about 1/2 the ground.

Not sure what kind of tree I climbed in a city park. No leaves yet, but there are a few buds. The trunk was about 3ft DBH. First usable branches about 30 feet.
3 pitches up and 2 down. I was climbing on my 90 footer, so I had to down pitch. I got to about 50 or 55 feet, had a snack, and came down.

I think this is the first time I have climbed in February. Weather is supposed to be good (for Michigan) this weekend, near 50 and sunny.

Bob:D

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123361 by nickfromwi
WAYTOGO, rtrem! I find it VERY refreshing and peaceful climbing in the cold.

It build character, being out in the cold.

love
nick

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123379 by redpanda
Replied by redpanda on topic Go outside!
Not sure what you guys are talking about. It's summer, right?

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123381 by nickfromwi
Alright Mr. Australia...are you trying to be funny. for us those of us Up Over(opposite of Down Under) spring time is just getting started.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? I assume you've been climbing.

love
nick

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds