Project.. need help!!!

• gnckingatm
  • gnckingatm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123263 by gnckingatm
Project.. need help!!! was created by gnckingatm
im doing a project for my problem solviing , engineering class, in which i had to get 5 between two trees, having only one person touch the ground once, and get all the equipment back. me and my partner did the experiment sucessfully, but i need an example of other people who had to do the same thing. i was wondering if someone could share their eperiences with me. thanks for the help in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gnckingatm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123264 by gnckingatm
Replied by gnckingatm on topic Project.. need help!!!
okay, i wasnt aware of the amount of mistakes in my post, so im going to try this again...

5 people
two trees
only one hits the ground, once
i
nvention, problem solving engineering class

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123267 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Project.. need help!!!
So, every one is in one tree and needs to transfer to the other tree with only one person touching the ground?

That's a pretty simple solution. We call it a transfer.

How did you do it the first time?

Call me suspicious but we could lay out a solution for you and do your homework.

For all I know, you have a better solution and we would miss out on a learning experience.

So, if you show me yours, I'll show you mine :)

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• gnckingatm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123269 by gnckingatm
Replied by gnckingatm on topic my solution
we tied some kind of knot (my friend did it, i dont know what it was) but tied the end of the knot, to another rope. I (swam) across the groundand tied these two ropes to the opposite tree, the four other people slid down the rope using one of those leg harness things using a pulley, and then pulled it back up using ANOTHER rope attached to the harness. the last person pulled the knot tied rope along with them and then pulled the knot once they reached the other side. While very sketchy, this worked quite well.
:o <-- Isnt he funny?

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123270 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Project.. need help!!!
I can think of at least one way to get everyone and all the gear across and down, with no one touching the ground ever. How far apart are the trees?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123271 by nickfromwi
And more importanty, what equipment do you have and what skills do your teammates have that may help you?

I used to work on a Ropes/Challenge course in Poland, ME. This is one of the best things I figured out while working there and watching people do the different elements...

There are three things you need to ask and answer.

First...Exactly what is it that we are attempting to do? What are the conditions?

You said, get everyone across, all the gear across. Someone is allowed to touch the ground once.

Second? What equipment, things do you have that may be of assistance. This includes material items (ropes, carabiners, pulleys...etc). It also includes special skills that you and your teammates may have.

Finally, what exactly are we going to do to accomplish the task? What is the plan?

There are many other questions you could throw in here....what may hold us back. Is there a teammate who is afraid of heights? Has a certain person been known to tie bad knots?

Also, what hazards exist that require special attention?

So before I suggested a plan, I'd like to know what tools, equipment and skills you have available to use.

Otherwise my smart-alleck answer would look like this: Put everyone in tree with a bucket truck. Person a crosses to second tree, rappells down, walks to bucket truck, works the controls to get the buck back to the first tree, another person gets in, ride across, raps down, while first person repeats until entire team is across. Then person 1 puts the boom of the bucket track back down (folded up), hops in the drivers seat, and drives over to team two....Viola! Everyone across and down, I only touched the ground once, and I drove the truck across!:D

But I know it can't be that easy.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• gnckingatm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123272 by gnckingatm
Replied by gnckingatm on topic Project.. need help!!!
ok, altough the bucket thing thing could have made my life alot easier, im sorry. that just cannot work. alright...

1. Hazards, ok this guy is perhaps the stupidest person i know, in a good way hes very smart but has way too much fun with everything i.e. he laughed so hard he fell over about the image of his dog eating churros. Alright, having said that i also need to tell you that he is very reckless. He rolled down his stairs in a sleeping bag while trying to play pokemon on his gameboy (no were not 10, we just had a little pokemon phase alright!)
2. I dont know how far apart these trees are, but maybe........ half a block apart?
3. Rope, carabiners, one pulley, a harness thingy mad eout of some leather like stuff
4. Special skills, well... im a graffiti artist and i play ddr very well... but other than that we have no tree/rock/anythingelse climbing experience, besides! messing around in his backyard with above mentioned tools.

alrighty then... hope this helps to get some anwsers...

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123273 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Project.. need help!!!
This is beginning to smell really Trollish.

mad eout of some leather like stuff

Get proper gear and know the materials

4. Special skills, well... im a graffiti artist and i play ddr very well... but other than that
we have no tree/rock/anythingelse climbing experience

A graffitti "artist" or a kid with spray paint?

Get some climbing experience before you get hurt.

To assuage my suspicions, give the details of how you set it up the first time. Then you can get suggestions. For all I know, you did it in the best way possible.

What is the name of the engineering class? What school?
Until then, this is in the Troll File.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123274 by nickfromwi
Half a block! Youch:o

In the right tree, I can use the boomerang toss with the throw line (Thanks, Jerry!). But I don't think I could get it a half a block!

This is sounding a bit ...funny. A half a block (1/8th of a mile....660' of rope)....though it seems Tom is being quite harsh with you (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here), I, too would like to hear a bit more of the ideas you folks thought of on your own.

love
nick

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds