To be, or not to be... Seen!

• benny12
  • benny12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123117 by benny12
To be, or not to be... Seen! was created by benny12
I assume that we all climb on publicly-held properties, at least once in a while. While climbing in these places, the potential for contact with other people is high. So how do all of approach these situations? Do you try to conceal your presence with natural colored clothes and hauled-up climbing lines, or do you make yourself known.. perhaps even advertise your presence? I see pluses and minuses on both sides, but I'd like to hear what all of you think.

Static Ropes and Dynamic Climbs,
Benny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123118 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic To be, or not to be... Seen!
I was climbing the other day in a privately-owned park. It's owned by an environmental group, and is open to public use. We found a tree that was is plain site of anyone, and set up ropes and climbed. We had kids, dogs, adults, little old ladies, and foreign tourists talk to us. No one cared, no one hassled. People were interested. I think I would have rather found a tree that was set back some, but it was just fine to be so public. Just be polite and nice!!!
JOsh

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123119 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic To be, or not to be... Seen!
When I go climbing in the forest I do not "hide" from others. I do, however, have a rather serious attitude about wilderness ethics, meaning that I am going to be as quiet and unobtrusive as possible. When I clothe myself in earth-toned clothing it is not because I am trying to camouflage myself, it is because I am trying to blend into the environment, rather than stand out from the environment. When I climb quietly, it is not because I am trying to avoid attention, but because I value the solitude and silence of the forest. When I pull my rope up into the tree behind me, it is not because I am hiding it, it is because a rope hanging from a tree might seem offensive to other wilderness seekers who would rather not be held captive to signs of civilization in an otherwise pristine wilderness setting. When I leave the trail and walk to a point out of sight of other wilderness visitors, it is not that I am hiding from them, but rather that I prefer to enjoy the wilderness experience by myself. When in search of solitude, other visitors can be as offensive to me as I to them. It's not about hiding, it's about wilderness ethics and wilderness etiquette.

Now. Having said that, I will admit that employment of a good standard of wilderness ethics is also conducive to avoiding run-ins with those who might take offense over my climbing in the trees. You might notice that the same people who are getting busted by Authority are the same people who seem to be lacking in a strong idea of what wilderness ethics is all about. One of the main cornerstones of a good wilderness ethic is the idea that visitors to the forest should blend into the environment rather than stand out from the environment. The climber who goes off into the forest wearing a bright orange tee shirt with a rope, harness, and bigshot hanging over his shoulder is not blending into the environment; he or she is standing out from the environment, asking for attention. When you climb a tree right next to a trail you are keeping other forest visitors, as well as yourself, from enjoying the solitude, and you are once again standing out from the environment. When you go into the forest as a group, there is usually much talking and as the climb is begun there is usually much shouting back and forth between those in the tree and those on the ground. This is offensive to other visitors who have come for the beauty and solitude, and once again these climbers are making themselves stand out from the environment.

If you like to climb in groups, talk, make noise, wear bright colors, and show off the fact that you are a climber, then you might do better to climb in places where such behavior is accepted. If you are going to climb in wilderness then you need to adopt a strong wilderness ethic, or get used to the idea of being seen as an unwelcome guest. I, for one, have never been busted by a ranger or any other authority and I climb fairly regularly just about anywhere I want to climb.

Just the other day a ranger friend of mine told me that he knew I had been climbing in his area, but because I stayed out of sight and went about my climbing quietly, without attracting attention to myself, he wasn't going to tell me not to climb. In fact, he wants to go climbing with me. He says that there is no rule against climbing trees in his area and that he will not make a rule unless climbers themselves cause him to have to make such a rule.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123123 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Cough It Up
Alright Joe,

Where are you climbing under the allknowing, but little seeing presence of the forest authorities.

We need to have guys like that become as excited about climbing as we, and to start taking with thier peers, it would be great to be welcomed by a ranger asking to take a swing on ones ropes, and not demanding to come down under penalty of law.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds