Photo size.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123082 by treeman
Photo size. was created by treeman
This is what our fearless webmaster has to say about photos here.

"As for the boards, that is an issue I am avoiding as no one is going to listen if we let them do it and provide instructions. What I mean is when you look at what people have already posted as far as pictures, they are huge. What would need to happen is we would have to limit the size to about 250 pixels x 250 pixels. Unfortunately, most of them will ignore that fact and then we will have a huge, slow picture database."

In other words there is no real easy way unless we just say that if your picture is bigger than 250 x 250 we will delete it."

So will you folks that want to submit photos limit the size of your photos to 250 by 250 or do we delete your photos? Do you have the courage to downsize your pics? That is the question I believe.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123083 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic pictures
I agree with Dan, a picture is worth a thousand words (actually, two thousand of mine).
I bet people would limit the size to 250 X 250 in order to clarify what they are saying.
If someone tried to post a message that contained a picture bigger than that, it seems like the server could send back a message saying "You need to make this picture 250 X 250, or it ain't going on our server."

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123085 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic Photo size.
Peter---I think that if you and your webmaster would take the time to explain exactly what it is that we are to do with our photos, that the problem would be eliminated. Right now you have a situation in which people are wanting to show their photos but no one knows how to do it. Because of that we have a lot of experimentation going on and I am afraid that the experimentation will probably continue until a solution is found.

If photos are being placed on the message board that are too large it is probably because, before now, no one has bothered to explain the problem that this creates. I would also make a wild guess that the reason most of the photos are too large is because many of those people submitting photos don't understand how to make them smaller. They are taking the photos directly from their cameras and, without any clue about sizing, trying to put them directly onto the message board. Keep in mind that most of us are not computer dudes, we are tree climbers.

You quote your webmaster as saying, "As for the boards, that is an issue I am avoiding as no one is going to listen if we let them do it and provide instructions." Might I suggest that you and your webmaster give it a try. On Novermber 3, I posted a message in which I asked for instructions on how to post photos. This message was ignored and never replied to. How does your webmaster know that we are going to ignore his instructions when he hasn't bothered to give any?Because of that, I went elsewhere for help, received some instruction, and found that those instructions did not work . Dan House has also attempted to put photos on the message board and has also been thus far unsuccessful.

I am aware that photos take up a lot of space in the system. I, for one, give you permission to delete all of my photos after they have been on the board long enough for those interested to have viewed them. I also agree to follow exactly any instructions that you and your webmaster will share with me, as long as the instructions are detailed enough to make up for my own shortcomings with handling computers.

You and your webmastwer have created a wonderful message board that is way beyond what we had before. Thank you both! Now try letting us share our photos.

• slabar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123086 by slabar
Replied by slabar on topic Sorry
Jmaher,

I would like to apologize for missing your post on the picture issue. I am sorry for that.

As to the image question. One of the biggest things we see on the web, especially message boards is that people like posting their pictures as is. Then when you explain to them that you had to delete the picture because they did not maintain the size ratio they get upset.

What I am trying to do is find a compatible image importing system that we can use with this board system that will automatically tell you if the image is valid or not. This is something I hope to have resolved ASAP so you can post pictures to the site.

One of the biggest issues currently is that the only way to post a picture now is directly from the web. That is one of the reasons I have to look for an image importer tool.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds