• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #122926 by ponderosa
Tree Climbing & stressing wildlife was created by ponderosa
In recent discussions with local agencies and personnel to find additional class sites, the objection has been raised that going into canopies will significantly stress wildlife, especially birds, and especially birds during nesting season.

While I think I've given good responses, focusing on respect for wildlife, avoiding active nest areas, and climbing at a slow, aligned pace, a part of me understands their concerns. I've advocated against opening up Yellowstone to industrial forms of winter and night tourism, as those are fragile times of renewal and recovery. Is the canopy during nesting season different?

My question is: Has anyone seen or done any research, made any observations, or have any thoughts about recreational tree climbing and stressing canopy wildlife? Thanks.

Harv
Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #122920 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
A blunt response would be, "If other people are allowed to go into the woods with guns, kill the animals, and take them home and eat them...then I should be allowed to go into the woods to climb a tree whenever I darn well please."

But then again, I am a vegetarian.

love
nick

please pass the tofu!

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123244 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Stressed birds
Probably not a good idea to climb a tree near a nesting bird. They will leave the eggs if you get close.

This is a big issue with canopy researchers though. They fear that habitats will be disturbed if tree climbing catches on too well. The good news is that trees are much more numerous than decent climbing cliffs where raptors hang out. It is unlawful to rock climb certain areas while raptors are breeding.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds