Looking for a rope suggestion

More
14 years 4 months ago #134292 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Looking for a rope suggestion
Yesterday I pulled my Arborplex Rope that I have not used in a long time and took it for a couple of climbs.
In the first one I needed to climbed about 25 feet up right over the side walk to remove and old branch I had left on an Oak tree in front of my house tree. I took all the pre-climb preparations including parking my car down on the street to prevent anyone driving into the ladder that had installed. I Selected my TIP fairly close to the work area and got extra rope to tie and lower the branch. Gassed Up the Chain saw and climbed safely to get the work done. I used a Distel knot and mini pulley around the Arborplex rope and it worked nicely.
After completing the work I still had time to clean up and reset to another tree to climb just for fun and to try the Arborplex on another gear configurations and actually climb to around 50 ft next to the house. Pleasant weather not to cool, very nice. I did a couple of ascends this time using the USHBA on one line with a Rope walker to assist in the climb (A basic Ascender on the left leg with a bungee cord to pull it up and the Pantin on the right foot) Works nice. For the other TIP I was using a Spider (Two TIPS) climbing on both ends of the rope on a split tail. Nice easy system and I could switch the Pantin back and forth between the two ascending lines to advance in the direction I wanted. After I reached the top I dropped one of my gloves and decided to do a "Glove retrieval" using the Canadian made Grapnel dangling from a long round 40 ft throw line. Interesting experiment but finally managed to retrieve the glove and conclude my climb. A full day of fun and creative thinking overall.

A Couple of photos to follow
This one was from another Climb on Saturday on what I think is a Texas Cedar Elm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #134323 by sgt.gear
Replied by sgt.gear on topic Re:Looking for a rope suggestion
Since you are using a Pantin I would not go with any rope over 12mm. Anything that size or smaller runs thru the pantin better. I use everything from 11mm, 11.7mm, and 12mm for work everyday. But my allround go to rope is Poison Ivy(11.7). Its great because it works good with a friction hitch(split tail) or mechanical devices (lockjack, spiderjack) and its not very heavy. The larger ropes may be nice to hold but someone moving around the tree all day will really notice the weight. And the smaller ropes(11mm) are super light but over the course of a day become hard to hold in your hand. That is why Poison Ivy is so appealing because it is an in-between rope. Lava(11.5mm) would also be good. Hope that helps a little!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds