Aluminum Ring Recall

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #134012 by Davej
Aluminum Ring Recall was created by Davej
Sherrill has issued a safety recall on their unmarked aluminum rings - the kind used on false crotches. I had purchased three of these last Spring. I've tried to attach the pdf file to this message but that did not seem to work. See this message thread to find the pdf notice;

Broken Aluminum Ring
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Davej.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #134013 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Aluminum Ring Recall
Thanks Dave, I do not have any of those rings thou.

I wonder if Tobe will post the same info here and at TCI. Not many Rec Climbers use those rings in their regular climbs.

I own one rappel ring from OMEGA purchased from REI that does actually have ratings posted on it.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #134014 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Aluminum Ring Recall
I want to build an FC and also plan to use them as substitutes for pulleys. Last Spring Wesspur was out of stock on the smaller size ring so I got them from Sherrill. I was surprised when the Sherrill rings arrived and were unmarked. Now with this recall Sherrill will replace the unmarked rings with marked rings. I think rap rings are about the same size as the large rings.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 7 months ago #134030 by Davej
Oddly enough I have now also received letters from WesSpur saying that they too will replace any unmarked aluminum rings even though they don't believe they sold any.

More
14 years 7 months ago #134061 by emr
Replied by emr on topic Re:Aluminum Ring Recall
I ordered 2 small and 2 large from Wespur this last spring. The 2 small rings were not marked. We got 2 letters from Wesspur regarding the recall. Last week we sent ours back to them. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to return them to us. The biggest bummer is that my ring was in a FC that I spliced up myself. Now I have to redo it, and that is not covered in the recall.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 7 months ago #134067 by Davej
A few days ago I received a certified letter from Sherrill containing the recall notice. I'll drop my rings off at the post office later today.

More
14 years 7 months ago #134072 by emr
Replied by emr on topic Re:Aluminum Ring Recall
We just got an e-mail yesterday from Wesspur that our order has been shipped. I am very impressed so far with the way that Sherrill and Wesspur (and others) are dealing with this issue. I know there are other issues regarding the source and quality of products that these places are selling, but I really believe that these companies are trying to make things right.

More
14 years 7 months ago #134073 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Aluminum Ring Fast Recall & Response
It is the best for the companies to do. Just handle the problem and keep their clients safe and happy. An Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It would had taken just one accident to erase all their profits for a year if they get sued or if people start posting bad reviews on line about their services or products. The ring recall will not cost them that much in the big picture and it will probably be covered by the manufacturer of the product for the same reasons.
That is one of the things many e-companies have been learning to be proactive to handle these isolated cases and move on fast to the next deal.

There is a company (Austin Plumbing supplies) here is Austin that has very bad customer service. If you look on line for their reviews you can read all the horror stories right there. Hope more people would do business in a good way but the bad actors will have to be put out of business asap. The Internet - the big equalizer in some cases. :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds