• elliotburch
  • elliotburch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133715 by elliotburch
Line Grabber updated video on YouTube was created by elliotburch
Hey,

If you saw my previous post from 2008 on the \"device\" that grabs/retrieves the throw-bag from a distance, you might want to see an updated and superior version of the design.

It works on the same principle as before. Super easy to make and much more practical. One of the main features is that it can be designed and constructed to accommodate about any diameter limb.

Cheers,

EB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133725 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Line Grabber updated video on YouTube
Hi Elliott!

I've just made a simplified version, which seems to work very well. It uses nothing but a single coat hanger - see attached photo: I would call it the BLG-MJS

The line attachment works by threading a clove hitch onto each side of the 'u' shape at the climber end of the grabber. These hold the grabber in place and the distance between them (approx. 5\") combined with the tension in the line due to the weight of the throwbag is enough to raise the hook end of the grabber to the corect position. I have also increased the size of the hook and put a red marker flag on it to make it more visible from a distance.

Let me know what you think!

Michael[/color]
Attachments:

More
14 years 11 months ago #133726 by canopyboy
Replied by canopyboy on topic Re:Line Grabber updated video on YouTube
Wow, I like the simplicity of that. I might have to try it.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133757 by michaeljspraggon
Here is an improved version on the BLG-MJS:

I have turned the rear line attachment point (the bight in the coathanger wire!) upside down from an 'n' to a 'u'. Only one clove hitch is required on the front attachment point - the line then simply runs through the rear 'u', stopping the device from tipping forward.

I have also put a hook on both sides of the grabber, making a large arrow shape so that it can grab a line from either side.

I recommend 14 oz throwbags or heavier.

Works a treat in the willows by my house!

Michael

More
14 years 10 months ago #133758 by michaeljspraggon
Here's a photo of it:

Michael[/color]
Attachments:

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133760 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Line Grabber updated video on YouTube
This is the technique I've been using for a while now.

Advantages are:
1. You can jump the retrieval device over branches so a clear path is not required to set a traverse.
2. You can reliably grab the line on the blind side of the trunk
3. Minimal amount of gear required

I use a New Tribe grapnel and an 8 oz throwbag with 2.2 mm throwline.

Four illustrations showing the technique here

-moss
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by moss.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133762 by michaeljspraggon
So the shot bag needs to be heavy enough to pull the grapple over to the branch while bouncing it over obstacles, yet light enough to not drop any further when you let the grapple swing down to the dangling position to grab the line. Does this ever fail to work if the target branch is either very smooth or very rough?

Michael

More
14 years 10 months ago #133763 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Line Grabber updated video on YouTube
michaeljspraggon wrote:

So the shot bag needs to be heavy enough to pull the grapple over to the branch while bouncing it over obstacles, yet light enough to not drop any further when you let the grapple swing down to the dangling position to grab the line. Does this ever fail to work if the target branch is either very smooth or very rough?

Michael

There's a lot of leeway there, I haven't had any failure with variation in bark texture of limb friction. With a very high friction situation you can go to a 10oz bag. To move the bag down (whether there is an obstacle or not), just bounce the grapnel up slightly, its weight is now off the line, the bag moves down. So... the bag is always heavier than the grapnel and you bounce the grapnel up more or less depending on bark texture or limb diameter which can create more friction even on smooth bark. Better to have a lighter bag (8 oz) than a heavier bag because you don't want the bag to pull so hard that you can't set the grapnel position where you want it before you swing it to make the grab.
-moss

More
14 years 10 months ago #133767 by michaeljspraggon
That makes perfect sense to me! Thanks.

Michael

• elliotburch
  • elliotburch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133768 by elliotburch
Replied by elliotburch on topic Re:Line Grabber updated video on YouTube
Pretty cool to see all the different ways to grab a distantly thrown line. I like them all! One pro about the BLG that I had posted on YouTube: It works even when the toss is nearly straight up! The fact that the device \"clamps\" onto the line means that it can be directed anywhere that the line went. You don't have to make a second toss with a grapnel, etc. No worries of an upwardly thrown grapnel coming back down on top of you!

The improvement that I want to initiate in version 3.0 is some way to \"fold it up\" in a compact sort of way so that it can squeeze through the tightest \"holes\" in the canopy. Right now, the bottom half kind of dangles about 12-15\" below the line and can potentially get snagged on branches, etc. while in route to its ultimate destination. Any best guesses on how to \"unfold\" it? Maybe I need to talk to the NASA techs that dropped those bouncing robots onto Mars!

More
14 years 10 months ago #133788 by michaeljspraggon
The problem is that every time to release the tension on the line to let the bag drop, pulling the device towards the branch, the weight of the hook makes it tip downward.

Perhaps the hook could be shaped so that it actually sits on top of the line until a tug on a second line attached to it pulls it off the line, allowing it to dangle so that it can catch the line. The same tugging action on ther second line could also allow the hook to be pulled to the side so that it can catch the dangling line, allowing for a much smaller hook (on one side only) to be used, which would reduce the chances of the hook getting snagged on the way back to you. I'll draw something up when I get the chance...

Michael

More
14 years 10 months ago #133789 by michaeljspraggon
Alternatively you could make it remote control like the ill-fated Beagle II probe. If only Prof. Colin Pillinger climbed trees...

More
14 years 10 months ago #133790 by michaeljspraggon
Here is a sketch of the sort of thing I was suggesting.

See how the device is bent into a yoke just before the hook. This sits on the line but can be pulled to the side so that it comes off the line by pulling on a second line attached to and arm coming out of the side of the unit which points sideways and backwards but NOT downwards. (This arm won't get snagged on the way back to the climber because it has the second line attached to it.)[/color]
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds