SRT Rope Recommendations

• canopyboy
  • canopyboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133648 by canopyboy
SRT Rope Recommendations was created by canopyboy
I've started using a grigri for SRT and I have to say that I love it. I've been using it on my Tachyon so far. I need another rope anyway, so while I'm at it I figured I'd make it a longer (200ft) dedicated static rope. Any recommendations, suggestions, input, etc? So far I'm leaning towards Sterling HTP (7/16).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133650 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:SRT Rope Recommendations
I agree with Sterling HTP.

Depends on how you're going to be using it, if you think you're going to be hiking in to trees the Sterling HTP 3/8\" is better to put on your back, weighs 10.6 lb. for 200 ft. and takes up a little less space in your pack.

The 7/16\" weighs 13 lb. and is going to take up a little more space in your pack.

I'm very happy with the 3/8\" HTP.
-moss

canopyboy wrote:

I've started using a grigri for SRT and I have to say that I love it. I've been using it on my Tachyon so far. I need another rope anyway, so while I'm at it I figured I'd make it a longer (200ft) dedicated static rope. Any recommendations, suggestions, input, etc? So far I'm leaning towards Sterling HTP (7/16).

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133651 by canopyboy
Replied by canopyboy on topic Re:SRT Rope Recommendations
How does the 3/8 run in your gear, specifically the grigri? I'm all for lighter, but seemed like 7/16 was a more optimal size for mechanical ascenders. I'm going to check the specs I guess.

How does the HTP compare to the Tachyon for stretch? Tachyon is pretty good, and you've said that's what you use a lot for DRT at least.

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133652 by canopyboy
Actually, looking up Petzl's documentation, grigri is for 10-11mm ropes. 3/8 is 9.5mm (7/16 is 11.1mm). Anybody out there use it with 3/8?
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by canopyboy.

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133653 by canopyboy
Ok, silly me. I was converting inches to millimeters without checking to see how the company actually classifies its rope. I find this interesting actually, Sterling shows 3/8 as 10.5mm and 7/16 as 12mm. Something is lost in the unit conversion here.....

Anyhow, anyone that uses 3/8 HTP in a grigri let me know how it works. Thanks.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133654 by moss
New Tribe calls Sterling HTP 3/8\" 10mm. Whether it is or not is open to debate. Various rope makers call their arborist ropes 11mm the actual caliper measurements are all over the place.

At any rate the Grigri works very well on my 3/8\" HTP, never had a problem. I've heard Tachyon called everything from 11mm to 11.6 mm, it also works well with a Grigri. The 3/8\" HTP is extremely low stretch, less than the 7/16\" HTP. Tachyon is low stretch for a hybrid static but is bouncy compared to HTP.

I understand your reluctance to go to a skinnier static, I used to think anything under 1/2\" was too thin. When you climb on the 3/8\" HTP it feels so solid that any reservations you might have go away.
-moss

canopyboy wrote:

Actually, looking up Petzl's documentation, grigri is for 10-11mm ropes. 3/8 is 9.5mm (7/16 is 11.1mm). Anybody out there use it with 3/8?

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133656 by canopyboy
Actually, I have no problem going skinnier if I can do it without needing different equipment. I loved the switch from 1/2 to 7/16. I also found 7/16 ran in all my equipment, although some devices didn't like the bigger 1/2.

Ok, 3/8 (10mm) HTP it is. Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward getting up in the tree with it.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133660 by woodjob
Replied by woodjob on topic Re:SRT Rope Recommendations
I am using the Beal \"Industry\" now for more than one year for SRT. It is similar to Petzl \"Axis\", just less expensive. Great durable rope, especially made for the use with metal ascenders and Grigri.

regards, martin
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by woodjob.

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133736 by canopyboy
Ok, so I ordered the 3/8 HTP and finally got to try it out today (took the day off work). It really is a great rope to climb, I went up 80' in a huge poplar next to my house. Used my grigri and the RADS.

The question I have concerns coming down. I had a hard time descending smoothly with the grigri. It would tend to grab a lot. I didn't have that problem previously with my Tachyon. I'm theorizing that this might be do to the fact that it's a new rope? The Tachyon was already broken in by the time I tried a grigri on it. Since you guys have mentioned running a similar setup, I'm assuming it's not a compatibility problem. Ideas? Comments?

More
14 years 11 months ago #133737 by moss
canopyboy wrote:

The question I have concerns coming down. I had a hard time descending smoothly with the grigri. It would tend to grab a lot. I didn't have that problem previously with my Tachyon. I'm theorizing that this might be do to the fact that it's a new rope? The Tachyon was already broken in by the time I tried a grigri on it. Since you guys have mentioned running a similar setup, I'm assuming it's not a compatibility problem. Ideas? Comments?

Keep playing around with it, Grigri works fine on the 3/8 HTP, many climbers use it. Make sure the line is coming out of the Grigri at the front, bending over the curved lip, not over the end of the Grigri. It's a matter of finding the right balance of pressure on the release handle and your belay hand tension on the HTP. Each rope is different, you'll find the sweet spot.
-moss

• canopyboy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133738 by canopyboy
Yeah, I have the line going over the side with the curved lip to my brake hand. I think the sweet spot on a new rope is probably just very small. I'm sure I'll find it, and of course the rope will probably start to break in a bit too. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds