Cheap Knives

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 days ago #133573 by Davej
Cheap Knives was created by Davej
Two cheap knives worthy of mention... I have several of the $1 Walmart knifes that can be found in the camping accessories area. As purchased it is a safety knife but I've taken a few of them to the grinding wheel to remove the serrations on the blade which then makes it a more normal knife for general use. It has a black plastic handle with a clip and a locking blade.

The other interesting knife was found at Harbor Freight last night. It was $4 but I think it is on sale and is normally priced $5. Looks like a good tool for dealing with a tight knot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 days ago #133576 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Cheap Knives
I really don't want to be rude, but I was taught that you must know how to untie your knots, or you shouldn't be on rope.

Yes some knots do get very difficult to untie, but one should understand two things, first a property of nearly all rope is that it stiffens as it is twisted. If one is unable to push line into a knot, twist the line and try again, this almost always works. Secondly, every knot has one thing in common, a twist somewhere in it's workings. Pushing that loop away from the knot has the effect of loosening the knot.

Keep the knives away from your rope always, unless you are retireing it. The only reason you should have a knife in the tree is if you need it for some rescue scenario, and even then I'd urge you to consider all other options first.

Sharp objects and loaded ropes are recipies for disaster.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 days ago #133578 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Cheap Knives

icabod wrote:
I really don't want to be rude, but I was taught that you must know how to untie your knots, or you shouldn't be on rope.

Hmmm... I still think it is an interesting knife. I believe it is intended for sailing. As a kayaker I always carry a knife on my vest and as a climber I will always carry one on my belt.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133639 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Cheap Knives
Davej wrote:

Looks like a good tool for dealing with a tight knot.

Perhaps you were just joking, but...

In 20+ years of rock climbing, rescue, SAR, and now tree climbing, I have NEVER cut a rope because I couldn't get a knot out.

Knives, just like saws, in trees, around rope can be very, VERY dangerous if you are not extremely careful and know exactly what you are doing.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133640 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Cheap Knives
I believe he was probably talking about the smooth Awl style tool on that knife for working a very tight knot loose.

I've never had much problem with climbing lines being to tightly knotted to untie though.

Carl

More
14 years 11 months ago #133642 by Baker
A rigging/yachtsman's knife does have a marlin spike, but safe as it may be in the hands of an expert, I'm not too into the possibility of jabbing things into my rope.

IMO...You shouldn't tie it if you can't untie it.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133643 by Baker
A rigging/yachtsman's knife does have a marlin spike, but safe as it may be in the hands of an expert, I'm not too into the possibility of jabbing things into my rope.

IMO...You shouldn't tie it if you can't untie it.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133680 by Davej

Baker wrote:
In 20+ years of rock climbing, rescue, SAR, and now tree climbing, I have NEVER cut a rope because I couldn't get a knot out.

Yet in your professional capacity I would bet $$$$ you are REQUIRED to carry a knife, and no, people don't casually cut $150 ropes for no reason, and they certainly don't cut the rope they are hanging on.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133684 by Baker
I said I've never used a knife because I couldn't get a knot undone. I didn't say I've never used a knife on a rope. Remember, I DID cut the hanging victim down.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133688 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:Cheap Knives
Davej wrote:

don't casually cut $150 ropes for no reason, and they certainly don't cut the rope they are hanging on.

You'd be suprised Dave, it's why they call them \"accidents\". Really dude, we are trying to keep you safe here, not to beat you up. If you insist on carrying a knife when you climb, make sure it's secure, and put away. It only needs to be available for use should something go really wrong.

Climb safe dude.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by icabod.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 11 months ago #133689 by Davej

icabod wrote:
It only needs to be available for use should something go really wrong.

Well, yes! I'm certainly not going to carry it in my teeth!:P

More
14 years 11 months ago #133695 by NorthWoodsDiver
Replied by NorthWoodsDiver on topic Re:Cheap Knives
I carry my Leatherman tool pretty much everywhere including up trees. Its kinda heavy and bulky but its something I have carried on my person daily since 6th grade (yes I carried a knife in school, this is northern Minnesota after all)so its pretty much an extension of my body.

It started as a normal leatherman supertool, then a wave, and now a charge.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds