I finally made the switch.

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133801 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:I finally made the switch.
Tom Dunlap wrote:

The notion that everyone has to start with basics and then stay there for some length of time doesn't make sense to me.

My view on the subject is that a beginning rec climber needs to learn how to be in a tree, ie: they need to learn tree, branch and hazard assessment, re-pitching, double crotching, swing back dynamics, etc. etc. A simple to operate and forgiving system without separate components reduces the variables and allows them to focus on acquiring the skills and intangibles required to be safe in a tree.

A traditional Blake's system meets that requirement. Once it's ingrained by all means explore and expand technique. Too many beginners focus on techniques and gizmos and not on what it takes to be in a tree.

A question though about a rec climber starting on a Distel/split tail without knowing any other system. How would they get off the ground and how would they re-pitch?

I think the \"length of time\" part is where there is plenty of wiggle room. If I was teaching a beginner I'd want them to log at least a dozen 3 hour climbs on a trad Blake's system with re-pitches in a variety of tree species before playing with closed split tail hitches. Anything less than that and they haven't really internalized a basic system.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds