Descender that is most foolproof to use???

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 week ago #133525 by Davej
This topic came up on the other board but is probably more appropriate here. The question is; what descender is most appropriate for occasional emergency use on 1/2 inch rope?

Petzl I'D is too big and expensive.
Most other devices are not rated for 1/2\" rope.
Munter on a carabiner requires you to have confidence in tying a Munter.

I proposed the Figure-8 -- since it's small and cheap and once you practice with it one time you aren't going to forget how to use it -- but is there anything better? I'm not familiar with all the other tubes and plates and things. Maybe something is even simpler?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #133526 by icabod
Racks are preferred, as they don't tend to cause twisting like an 8. They are fairly easy to use though a good bit more expensive than an 8.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
15 years 1 week ago #133527 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Descender that is most foolproof to use???
If you are looking for something Very Simple, easy to use and cheap ($4.20) Buy a Rappel Ring at REI.
Omega Pacific Rappel Ring.

I have one and really like it a lot better than a Figure-8 and does not twist the rope (that much). :blush:

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 week ago #133528 by Davej

oldtimer wrote:
If you are looking for something Very Simple, easy to use and cheap ($4.20) Buy a Rappel Ring at REI. Omega Pacific Rappel Ring. I have one and really like it a lot better than a Figure-8 and does not twist the rope (that much). :blush:

I like that idea and saw them at REI the other day. They look identical to the WesSpur rings although I don't know if the diameter is different. I remember the JimK thread on this subject but I've never tried this method. Also several different ring sizes are available and some are not climb rated (even REI has a non-climb rated ring). I have also read some dismissive comments from some people who don't believe it is a \"proper\" method -- but they may have been thinking of the non-climb-rated rings.

More
15 years 1 week ago #133529 by oldtimer
Dave the Omega ring is rated for rappelling( 20 kN) posted right on the front. The weight of the climber is being held by the rope anyways so there is minimum force applied to the ring itself. Go back to REI and check it out in person and for that price you can not go wrong! :)

It is so light weight and it fits almost anywhere on your pockets.

The rings from Wesspur are not all rated and can be used for other applications but you need to make sure to order the right one for your rappelling purposes.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #133534 by Davej

oldtimer wrote:
It is so light weight and it fits almost anywhere on your pockets.

The rings I bought from Wesspur were the rated larger FC rings and they had a printed rating on them. Later I bought the smaller FC rings from Sherrill and these don't have any printing on them. In addition to making a strap type FC I thought I would use them as substitutes for micro-pulleys. WesSpur

So how does using one of these rings for descent compare to using an F8 for descent? Less or more friction?
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by Davej.

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #133539 by oldtimer

So how does using one of these rings for descent compare to using an F8 for descent? Less or more friction?

You provide the friction depending on how hard you hold on to the down rope and the type of rope used.

Disclaimer:
I always ask for caution when using new gear like this one because it is totally controlled by the operator/climber and there is a strong possibility of a quick drop if the climber is not familiar on how to install it and how to use it correctly but the simplicity is great.

:blush:
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by oldtimer. Reason: Correction

More
14 years 10 months ago #133796 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Descender that is most foolproof to use???
Every rope worker should take the time to read ALL of Gary Storrick's webpage:

http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/VerticalHome.shtml

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133797 by Tom Dunlap

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133798 by Tom Dunlap

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133802 by Davej

Tom Dunlap wrote:
Every rope worker should take the time to read ALL of Gary Storrick's webpage...

It's a very interesting photo resource, but it lacks almost all details about the devices and how they compare.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133812 by canopyboy
Replied by canopyboy on topic Re:Descender that is most foolproof to use???
Anyone else here ever use a belay/rappel tube like the Black Diamond ATC? I have found they don't twist the rope, are inexpensive, light, and work well for me. I know it doesn't dissipate heat or have as much control as a rack, but I'm usually dropping less than 80' at a time on it, and it hasn't gotten that hot yet. And it has as much or more thermal mass than a small ring.

Thoughts?

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds