Carabiner Confusion

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132662 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Carabiner Confusion
The classic \"Double Ended Lanyard\" with two snaps and a hip prusik doesn't look too useful to me at all. Sherrill shows a picture of a guy using one to double crotch. Seems to me that could only happen when you just happen to be using the full length of both sides. I suppose you could then perform a sort of traverse from one to the other...

If you are inclined to actively use both ends of your rope, a good single ended lanyard should be all you need.

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 5 months ago #132664 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Carabiner Confusion
Maybe Oldtimer will describe his technique. If you were going up the trunk of a tree, perhaps using a single TIP that you didn't really trust, and the whole tree was a disaster of dead branches, and you absolutely-positively wanted to be tied in twice at every moment, then I can see why you might want a double-ended lanyard.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132668 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Carabiner Confusion
Davej wrote:

Maybe Oldtimer will describe his technique. If you were going up the trunk of a tree, perhaps using a single TIP that you didn't really trust, and the whole tree was a disaster of dead branches, and you absolutely-positively wanted to be tied in twice at every moment, then I can see why you might want a double-ended lanyard.

A double-ended lanyard would work fine for putting in protection alternately when you're \"ladder\" climbing a conifer. By that I mean a conifer with close spaced branches.

A long double-ended long lanyard (40-60 ft. or so) is what tall conifer climbers sometimes use. You climb primarily on one side of it or the other but you have the other end available as a short lanyard. It's all about personal climbing style and how you implement the system.

My only caution is about using a Prusik Knot for the hitch on a lanyard. After you've loaded it up pretty well it requires two hands to release. I frequently find myself in situations were I want to be able to tighten or loosen the lanyard with one hand.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds