Small rope radius issues

• Dean
  • Dean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132414 by Dean
Small rope radius issues was created by Dean
This is a picture of end of my lanyard. I was paranoid about having a small rope radius, so I wrapped the carabiner with a little bit if webbing and secured it tightly with some electrical tape to keep the radius larger. I tried using those little plastic ring thingies (sorry don't know what they are called), but they always tended to collapse under load. I was concerned once they were out of round they could cause a serious abrasion issue on the rope, so I came up with this. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? And how serious of an issue is rope radius anyhow?
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Dean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dean
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132415 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re:Small rope radius issues
Attachments:

More
15 years 6 months ago #132416 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Small rope radius issues
Dean, that looks like a good idea. I know Moss uses the plastic thimbles and I was going to order some. My guess is on arborist rope they mostly just protect the rope from abrasion and keep things looking neater and easier to untie.

• Dean
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132418 by Dean
Maybe the inside diameter of the plastic thimbles was too large for the size carabiner I was using (see pic above). But They always collapsed once I got the knot on there good and tight. So instead of having a nice round thimble, they would deform out of round and developed edges that seemed dangerous. Who knows. Anyways, thanks for responding Dave.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132421 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Small rope radius issues
That's interesting, I've never had plastic rope thimbles distort or collapse and I'm rough on gear. I use the black round thimble shown on this page at Wespur

The thimble shouldn't be collapsing, I use a large diameter thimble for my split tail on a pear link, I want the thimble to fit over the locking nut on the screwlink to keep it out of the way when not in use.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by moss.

• Dean
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132427 by Dean
moss wrote:

That's interesting, I've never had plastic rope thimbles distort or collapse and I'm rough on gear. I use the black round thimble shown on this page at Wespur

Perhaps it was the type of knot I was using? I want to think I was using the buntline hitch, maybe it was the dfl.. Heck I don't remember. The distortion wasn't much, but it was enough that the thimble was no longer a circle and the two ends of the ring weren't butting up square anymore. I figured it was a safety hazard, so I ditched it. I'll try again with the black one, see what happens.

fwiw, I was using the orange one.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132446 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Small rope radius issues
Dean wrote:

moss wrote:

That's interesting, I've never had plastic rope thimbles distort or collapse and I'm rough on gear. I use the black round thimble...

Perhaps it was the type of knot I was using? I want to think I was using the buntline hitch, maybe it was the dfl.. Heck I don't remember...

Maybe the split in the thimble has to be rotated to be up against the body of the knot like a teardrop thimble would be?

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds