Mesh basket?

More
15 years 6 months ago #132555 by treebeard
Replied by treebeard on topic Re:Mesh basket?

As someone who has never thrown a line while hanging in a tree let me ask a dumb question -- do you need to repack the line into the mug for each throw? Could you just let it hang?

I usually stuff my line back into a sack when I'm in a tree since I seem to be snag prone. I guess if you are making a short toss you could get away without repacking the throw line if you don't get it on the first attempt. At some point you will definitely need to repack the line and it can be a pain.

Even with the handle disengaged, did it spool out nicely when you threw? I would think there would be too much drag from a chalk line. I really like the idea of just being able to pop it open and get at the end of the line though!

I was using a 14 oz throw weight so it spooled out okay but it does have a fairly course feel. I think experimenting with different weights might be interesting. The quick access to the back requires removing a phillips head screw.... so \"quick access\" is relative. Fast for construction work but a pain to deal with in a tree. I would probably leave that to when I'm on the ground.

I think I can improve the feel of the deploy by drilling the line opening slightly larger or at least removing the chalk well... that might help.

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132558 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Mesh basket?
Davej wrote:

As someone who has never thrown a line while hanging in a tree let me ask a dumb question -- do you need to repack the line into the mug for each throw? Could you just let it hang?

Watch the \"basics\" video again. Peter explains this beautifully.
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Baker.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132560 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Mesh basket?
DaveJ Wrote:

As with LOTS of things, it really depends on the situation at hand. In my nice smooth sycamore I sometimes let it dangle behind me as I move up the tree, Sometimes I'll tie it off and let part of it dangle. If there are branches and leaves or rough bark or too many ropes or other climbers around, then yes, it needs packed up for a clean deployment.

All shortcuts come along with a risk of some kind.

Carl

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132572 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Mesh basket?
Baker wrote:

Watch the \"basics\" video again. Peter explains this beautifully.

Ok, Peter seems to simply hold the coil in his hand as he throws. I thought the linemug idea was to have the line dispense from the mug? No?

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132573 by Culinarytracker
Davej wrote:

Ok, Peter seems to simply hold the coil in his hand as he throws. I thought the linemug idea was to have the line dispense from the mug? No?

First off, I have not had the privilege of seeing Peter's video.
The linemug is definitely made to let the line dispense from. They even advertise the handle for holding and pointing the mug so that the line spools out even straighter.

I would like to see how Peter is coiling the line, because that would be a HUGE preference when it takes several throws to hit your target if you don't have to re-stuff it. At least during a throwing session. Not moving around the tree.

Carl

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132574 by Davej
Culinarytracker wrote:

I would like to see how Peter is coiling the line, because that would be a HUGE preference when it takes several throws to hit your target if you don't have to re-stuff it. At least during a throwing session. Not moving around the tree.

Peter merely coils the line in an 8 pattern between thumb and elbow. If stowing it away he wraps it up and folds it in half and puts it in the bag.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132575 by Culinarytracker

Peter merely coils the line in an 8 pattern between thumb and elbow. If stowing it away he wraps it up and folds it in half and puts it in the bag.

Sounds Tangly

Carl

More
15 years 6 months ago #132576 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Mesh basket?
Davej wrote:

The 8 coil you are speaking of is for storage, not throwing. As I see it in the video, for in-tree throwing, he simply holds a loose coil in one hand and lets the line spool out as he throws the bag.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132577 by Davej
Baker wrote:

The 8 coil you are speaking of is for storage, not throwing. As I see it in the video, for in-tree throwing, he simply holds a loose coil in one hand and lets the line spool out as he throws the bag.

Ok, I'll agree with that. It also looks like he's using something like 1/8\" Slickline. It certainly looks like a comfortable low-tech approach. Maybe you'd need a snazzier approach if you were going for really long throws or if you were using a thinner line?

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds