Black conduit House sleeves problem

More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #131609 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Black conduit House sleeves problem
michaeljspraggon wrote:

One further question is how long do you typically make these friction savers? I intend to use them for SRT where the rope is fixed at ground level but also DRT. Is 2ft long enough?

The sleeves I have are 26 inches long but I assume that 24 inches will work fine. It all depends on the size of the trees you climb regularly.
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by oldtimer. Reason: Corrections

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #131611 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Black conduit House sleeves problem
I make mine around 30\" to work with a variety of branch diameters. I have a couple extra long ones for super fat limbs.
-moss
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by moss.

More
16 years 1 week ago #131612 by oldtimer
Can we Please change the Title of this discussion? It makes it sound like there is a terrible \"problem\" with the sleves but everyone keeps making them and using them.
As a matter of fact I just bought 8 more last week for me and my friends. :blush:

More
16 years 1 week ago #131613 by eriebuoy
Replied by eriebuoy on topic Re:Black conduit House sleeves problem
That's a good point -- but instead of changing the title of the original thread, let's split the thread at Michael's first post about finding equivalent material in England (post #131564) and title that new thread appropriately. I suspect we'll need a moderator to do this.

Tree climbing on del.icio.us

Tree climbing on Flickr

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 1 week ago #131614 by moss
oldtimer wrote:

Can we Please change the Title of this discussion? It makes it sound like there is a terrible \"problem\" with the sleves but everyone keeps making them and using them.
As a matter of fact I just bought 8 more last week for me and my friends. :blush:

There isn't a terrible problem but there is a problem. The black conduit sold by New Tribe wears quickly compared to the previous gray conduit sleeves which are nearly indestructable. I've talked to NT and Dan House about it and they are aware of the problem. Anyone using the NT or Elliot Su sleeves should inspect before using, the steel coils will come apart when the black vinyl wears out.

I love the black NT sleeves for their lightness and flexibility, I make new ones when they wear out. I use them normally, I'm not thrashing them. There is space between the steel coils (that's why they're more flexible), that's what causes the faster wear.

The black conduit that Erie Buoy has linked to has a tighter steel coil, less flexible but they should last longer, possibly much longer than the NT conduit (haven't used it long enough to see how long they'll last). Erie Buoy, have you had any of your conduit version fail yet?
-moss

More
15 years 11 months ago #131659 by zionstree
Replied by zionstree on topic Re:Black conduit House sleeves problem
I need help,
I am having trouble sourcing the ground cones for the sleeves. I need the size that works with 1/2inch rope. outside diameter 25mm approx 75. would anyone in the US be willing to post these to me in Australia. I will pay of course and you could keep heaps of them as payment for your efforts.
Cheers

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 11 months ago #131661 by moss
zionstree wrote:

I need help,
I am having trouble sourcing the ground cones for the sleeves. I need the size that works with 1/2 inch rope. outside diameter 25mm approx 75. would anyone in the US be willing to post these to me in Australia. I will pay of course and you could keep heaps of them as payment for your efforts.
Cheers

Ok so that would be the 3/4\" inside diameter conduit or 3/4\" end caps/ferrules. How many ferrules are you looking for?
-moss

More
15 years 11 months ago #131662 by oldtimer
Zionstree, It is probably easier to just buy a few Sleeves already made by Dan House. He can mail them to you and you can pay the charges. I just bought eight from him for me and my friends and he warranties they will last under normal Recreational Tree Climbing Conditions. Good Luck and take care of those trees.
P.S. Get in Touch with Eric Frey in Brisbane Palm tree Services)or visit his web site at treeworld.com They will point you in the direction to a F-Savers supplier in your local area or a Free Tree and Green Industry Link Directory.

More
15 years 11 months ago #131666 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Rope Sleeve Ferrules
Hey there Zionstree,

I can PM you and we can talk about your needs.

Dan House

More
15 years 6 months ago #132594 by oldtimer
The conduit is wider than the rope distributing th eclimber's weight over a larger surface area and the saver is not moving as much after installation so the impact on the tree is much less than just using the rope alone with all the friction and dragging over the branch.
I do not think that the fact that the friction saver has an internal metal jacket makes more impact on the branch as a matter of fact what is in contact with the branch is the softer outer coat of plastic that is rather soft. IMHO ;)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds