interesting rope termination (knotless/spliceless)

• SRT-Tech
  • SRT-Tech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129138 by SRT-Tech
One of the rescue guys i hike with has one of these, its a industry approved way of terminating a rope, for attachment to a harness or rigging plate anchor.

knotless, spliceless, no modification to the rope is required. You need a locking biner to attach it to your saddle or anchor point

# Provides a quick reusable termination and eliminates the need for knots and factory terminations

# Complies with OSHA and ANSI standards

for kernmantle, 3 strand or doublbraid....unfortunalty its sized for 5/8" rope :( but i wonder if they would consider making thses for 12/16 strand ropes, 1/2" size?

closeup of rigging diagram:

EDIT:

found a termination plate for 7/16 - 1/2" ropes : http://www.patrollersupply.com/equipment/item_1136.asp

instructions: http://www.miomechanical.com/prod_img/l/plate_lg2.gif

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129141 by SRT-Tech
well the above device got my brain churning.... so i took my Petzl Paw rigging plate, threaded my arborplex thru, secured the end and hung suspended from the roof, just above ground. No slippage, you get a very secure "termination". i then extended the tail end out anohter 4', reterminated it in the rigging palte, tied a inline figure 8 then a blakes with the tail. A ncie neat, clean tidy setup , with zero slippage, even with two of us bouncing hard on it. The termination releases easily after being loaded, (only if you want to release it, requires undoing the blakes and then unthreading the rope thru the plate. plate).

PICS this afternoon.....i think some of you might like this setup.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129144 by SRT-Tech
Front view:

View from saddle:

the way i threaded the rope thru above is a bit different than the conventional way of using a rope plate, but it works very well. I also threaded the rope thru the standard way, its a lot cleaner looking and works the same. Pics tonight when i get the camera again...

here is the second version, threaded like the Rope plate in the first post:

alot cleaner setup, and very secure (no slippage at all.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129148 by SRT-Tech
and if you look at the second setup carefully, perhaps you will spot the hidden way of double and triple crotching, using the petzl paw rigging plate, and the side D rings... ;)

DEFINITELY some pics of that setup soon!! I'll take em outdoors in a tree fo clarity.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129154 by nickfromwi
What's the advantage of using that thing? I know a fig 8 on a bight in 5/8ths rope would be a bit bulky....but geeze, that thing is hardly compact.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129155 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Termination Rope
That termination makes kind of hard to re-attach the rope when you are on the tree and want to move to a new location up or sideways etc. Similar to what you would do in a split tail system. If all you do is go up and then down on the same location this probably works fine.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129158 by moss
Good innovative thinking. You have to throw a bunch of ideas against the wall before you find something that's more practical then all the other climb tested ideas in current use. It's a worthy cause.

A potential advantage is the reduction of carabiners used in the system. To further optimize and reduce bulk you could thread the rope and lock it just using two holes on the Paw since it's a closed system anyway (with the bridge tied off with the Blakes). That way you'll have two more holes available to repitch up using the other end of the rope.

One concern with attaching rope directly to the Paw is it looks like you're putting a sharp bend in the rope where it carries the most load from the "up" rope. With the straight vertical termination plate the rope isn't bent as hard.

One note about your slack tender, you may have already figured this out... if you attach it with a slip knot and clevis on the up rope (instead of the bridge) you can move it higher and closer to your Blakes to reduce slop in the system when you advance the hitch.
-moss

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129178 by SRT-Tech
i too was concerned about the sharp bend, but it is'nt an issue to me...i have a arborist biner for work that you tie a rope end to...and it makes the rope have a much sharper and tighter bend. When i contacted the manufacture, they stated that the sharp bend was'nt and issue, and that ropes had been tested under load and dropped tested with zero effect at the bend.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds