• Electrojake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129022 by Electrojake
Small Eye vs. Large was created by Electrojake
A while back I had some custom work done by
Splice Master Nick (AKA: NickfromWI)

I sent him a 150 foot hank of my very favorite climbing line with an old large eye in one end. It was obvious that I was working the eye spliced end of my line much harder than the unspliced end. It was time to “turn” the line around, i.e. cut the eye off the worn end and splice a new one on the less traveled end.

Additionally, girth hitches annoy me, especially on my bridge. I wanted less rope bulk in the carabiner, a small eye with a tighter grip on the biner, and I was in the market for a couple of new bridges anyway.

One email & a phone call later and my favorite climbing line was on its way to CA.

I had my precious 150 footer “turned” and purchased 2 new bridges from Nick with MicroEyes spliced in the ends. Now I ‘m happy as a clam! More bling-bling for the gear bag and the best part is, NO MORE FAT SLOPPY Girth Hitches.

Thanks Nick and. . .
Thanks TCI for making the acquaintance possible!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129023 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Small Eye vs. Large
Nice XTC Fire there!!! and Nick, thats some nice work sir! :)

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129024 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Small Eye vs. Large
Nick is my splicing idol.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129025 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Small Eye vs. Large
Knot only is Nick a superior splicer but also an awesome teacher. I highly recommend anyone going to the 2007 Recreational Tree Climbing Rendezvous to take his workshop. His expertise, patients and knowledge are worth the price of the rendezvous alone.
You will not be disappointed.

Im still loving my double split tail splice.

3 woofs for Nick!

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• Electrojake
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129027 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Small Eye vs. Large

Originally posted by tengu
Im still loving my double split tail splice.
3 woofs for Nick!

Double split tail splice ??? :o

Might you be able to give me some info on this?
I don’t believe I’ve seen this device yet.
Thanks,
-Ej-

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129028 by tengu12
Hey EJ,
I mainly use this when constructing the bridges of a Super System (a 3 to 1 climbing system). I've also used it as 2 split-tails when climbing standard DRT. It has came in handy on many different occasions, as Im sure you can imagine.
[img]http:///Users/timkovar/Desktop/DSC01175.JPG

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• Electrojake
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129029 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Small Eye vs. Large
Whoa, nice piece!
A man of my mediocre climbing endowment could keep himself quite busy with that set-up. :)

Thanks for taking the time to put up that photo too.
-Ej-

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129052 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Man, how could I have missed this thread!
Your words are too kind. I'm glad that you enjoy what I do, and I'm glad I get to share it with people. Having a good teacher is great, but it's even better to have eager students! I get really happy when I see someone make something for the first time, and then they realize, "hey...this thing is good...I can really use this thing!!!" (then my even favoriter part is when they realize months later that they don't want to try it again then they just call me to have them ship one out to them! :D )

Tim, the double split tail is a perfect example of why I like doing this. I would never have just sat there and thought, "hmmm, I should make a 2 ended split tail." And that doesn't fit into any of the climbing I do...but then someone (you) presented a puzzle to me, then it sorta went from there. I get calls like that all the time..."I have this friction saver..but I want to be able to do THIS to it..can it be done?" Stuff like that. I really do love it and it drives me nuts when I CAN'T figure out how to accomplish it...to the point that I ALWAYS come up with SOMETHING that will at least let me sleep at night!

I remember with Tim's Double ended split tail, I pulled the core out, spliced it, then we realized that with the core out, it was too floppy to tie a friction hitch, so we had to put the core BACK in...that was fun project!

Thanks, guys. I hope that I can do this for a long time. I'm looking into growing more and more each year...this year insurance and a proper website are at the top of the list of priorities...well, besides the actual splicing!

Now put a stop to this thread...I think my ego has been inflated enough....for now.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129066 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Small Eye vs. Large
what would a double lanyard like that cost Nick (splicing wise)? also $$ for a splittail tight eye splice (each end)?

i might be getting a short length of XTC Fire soon.... ;)

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129073 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Small Eye vs. Large
SRT-Tech, I need to know how long the lanyard would be. I'm assuming you want it made of XTC? No snaps spliced into it, right? It's $25 for each splice, then add about 60 cents per foot of rope, and add 3' of rope for each splice. Then add the price of the hardware. Some snaps are $8, some are $25.

The split tails are $25. $20 if you provide the rope.

Does this help? Email me the specifics and I can give you an exact quote.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds