• tuffgong
  • tuffgong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128969 by tuffgong
samson arbor plex? was created by tuffgong
Hey guys anybody have an opinion on the Samson arbor plex rope? It seems to meet all the requirements necessary and seems to be priced significantly lower than a lot of the other ropes. Tell me what ya think or give me some recomendations on what the best bang for my buck would be. There seems to be five million ropes out there an I am having a heck of a time sorting it all out. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128970 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic
Arborplex is yucky stuff to climb on. I highly unrecommend it.

For beginning climbers I usually recommend one of the 16 strand lines. Samson Arbormaster (Blue Streak), New England Safety Blue/Hi-V, and Yale XTC are all excellent ropes.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128964 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
Leon gives good advice. Arborplex is cheaper for a reason.

The ones he listed are good. I would recommend Blaze, Fly, and Velocity if you are interested in the weight savings and don't mind having less rope to hold on to in your hands.

What kind of climbing do you have in mind?

My first rope was New England Braided Safety Blue and it treated me very well.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128981 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic
well i must be the black sheep of ropes, because i Love my ArborPlex for climbing.

soooo whats so bad about it? because i've never runinto any issues.

:(

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128986 by moss
Replied by moss on topic

Originally posted by SRT-Tech
well i must be the black sheep of ropes, because i Love my ArborPlex for climbing.

soooo whats so bad about it? because i've never runinto any issues.

:(

Keep on lov'in it SRT-Tech, if it works for you more power.

I don't think it's just the Arborplex that anyone's complaining about. It's more that it's a 12-strand rope. Has it's own special qualitites. 16-strand and 24-strand are smooth in the hand and run through hardware better. Then again they cost more.
-Moss the Barbarian

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128991 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic
BSU (the place I work at) has some arborplex on my behalf. Bought it before I knew better, and don't care for it. I find it stiff and squirrelly. That said, it's plenty strong, and if it works for you then don't let anybody talk you out of using it.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128993 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Arborplex Rope
I bought 150 ft from Sherrill a while back ( because of the low cost) during one of the local Tree Climbing competition demonstrations in town. I have used it for climbing and it was fine. It is a little bigger diameter (true ½ in). than my other rope but it works fine. It does operate with a traditional system, It grabs too much on a split tail and definitely it is too big to flow freely thru a Grigri on descending. I now used that rope for lowering cut branches or to haul gear and stuff into a tree.

• Tree_frog55
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129001 by Tree_frog55
Replied by Tree_frog55 on topic
If your on a tight budget, id say go with the arbor plex. as others have said its cheaper for a reason due to its different characteristics. dont think its a bad rope though. i started with 120ft of arbor plex and it served its purpose. in the end, its all up to which rope feels best in your hand. hope that helped.
-Tree_Frog55

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129004 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic
My 2 cents worth to Tuff Gong. . .
Take a look at Samson Yellow Jacket via SHERRILLtree.
Click This Link> http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwida.pvx?;products_no_tree?cat=YLLWJKT?comp=SHE

I don’t have the specs in front of me but in general, it’s cheap & light for a 16 strand 1/2” arborist line.

NOTE: If you’re a new climber on a budget, any approved climbing line should be O.K. I would suggest 1/2” line (like ArborPlex) over the skinny 7/16 (11mm) stuff, but even econo-thread like Yale SportLine will get ya’ in the tree.

As time goes on you’ll have plenty of time to try all the different stuff available.
In my early days I started out with a 70’ remnant of 7/16 Yale. It served me well until I eventually matured into all the high-tech “must have” bling-bling climbing line that sits in my basement waiting for its turn to get used.

www.wtsherrill.com/index.asp

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129010 by SRT-Tech

Originally posted by MarkF
BSU (the place I work at) has some arborplex on my behalf. Bought it before I knew better, and don't care for it. I find it stiff and squirrelly. That said, it's plenty strong, and if it works for you then don't let anybody talk you out of using it.

i'm wondering if they changed the "recipe" for Arborplex, or the way they manufacture it.........??? the batch i got (120' and 150' ) was pretty soft right outta the bag, works great with a (Arborplex) splittail and knots easily once broken in. I also tend to run (any of my ropes) thru a ringed cambium saver or a floating false crotch - i think i have run the Arborplex once over a limb (with a canvas pad).

i dunno, I just love how CHEAP it is ($) (from baileys). I can actually afford to buy lots for rec or work. Next purchase will be a full spool (600' ) of it. I can buy a full spool (600' ) from baileys, for the same price as 200' locally here in vancouver (pretty sick the local price gouging eh? ) .

• tuffgong
  • tuffgong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129031 by tuffgong
Replied by tuffgong on topic
Thanks for all of the information. I think what it all comes down to is, everybody has there own favorite ice cream... its kind of a matter of trying a few different flavors untill you know the one that makes your taste buds smile;0) I think geographically things are against me because I can't seem to find anybody in my area that is into this "activity" although Oldtimer has extended a welcoming hand to "show me the ropes" so I will be contacting him and maybe get a feel for the ropes and climbing techniques that he uses. Once again thank you guys.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129034 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Price War!
SRT-Tech (and others), if you're interested in saving money on a spool of Arbor-Plex, Blue Ridge Arborist Supply BRAS beats the pants off Bailey's.

Peace.

Jim

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129035 by SRT-Tech
WOW!!!! 1/2" x 600' Arbor-Plex
Item No: 346032006030 $290.25

VS

baileys: $339.95 (which even still is a screaming good deal!!!)

daaaaaaaaaaamn!!!!

just noticed baileys is now sellign XTC Fire!

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129051 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
I gotta be honest here...I really dislike the green stripe on arbor plex!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds