Tie in to the new tribe harness delta

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128847 by dude512
Tie in to the new tribe harness delta was created by dude512
How do y'all tie into the new tribe harness deltas? (assume standard DRT with a blakes hitch) I generally just use a carabiner to attach the rope to the delta. The only issue I have with that is that it looks like the "soft" aluminum carabiner is getting smally indentations from the harder steel on the delta.

Anyone else see that on their biners? Anyone see an issue?

Later

Troy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128848 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Tie in to the new tribe harness delta
I actually usually tie into the D ring as opposed to the link, but that's just personal preference, either one is good. Don't worry about the metal on metal contact. The carabiner may lose a little bit of its finish at the point of contact but it shouldn't actually put any indentations in the metal. If it is putting indentations in the actual metal than you should quit using that biner lickety split. What type of carabiner is this?

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128852 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Tie in to the new tribe harness delta
I don't have it in front of me but it is your standard large high quality locking tie in type carabiner....I'll take a picture of it tonight.

Later

Troy

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128860 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Tie in to the new tribe harness delta
If aluminum and steel are in constant contact with eachother, eventually you'll notice wear on the aluminum, since it's softer.

It's just a matter of knowing when it's time to retire it. A small indent does not necessarily mean it's over-johnny. But hopefully you don't wait as long as SOME people do...

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128864 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic When to retire an alloy on steel biner?
There seems to be two schools of thought. Some say incompatible metals (alum. on steel) are a bad mix while others say no big deal. When do you draw the line. After the fall? Have there been any recorded failures in this respect? How about a photo of heavy metal abuse. Disasters in the making always arouse interest around here.

And who is this "some people wait too long" person? Anyone we know? How about a few hints to get the rumor mill grinding? Surely it is a fine upstanding climber we all know. But then again it might be a hard bitten rock climber just crossing over into a more friendly climbing arena such as ours here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds