• bstall
  • bstall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128818 by bstall
Need cheap harness was created by bstall
I cannot afford arborist type harnesses for me and my son and he is very excited about this sport .I know rock harnesses are not designed for comfort as much as tree harnesses but i can upgrade later,are rock harnesses as safe as arborist style harnesses ,and does anyone have any suggestions.Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kinooni
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128811 by kinooni
Replied by kinooni on topic
best on the mkt IMHO

http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=313&osCsid=a8ac1f8e56428117d9f42b37c027cb44

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128820 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
Ditto, go with the New Tribe, the rock harness will punish you way too much and you'll end up spending more because you'll want the NT harness in the end.
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128821 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic
something to keep in mind is that a harness separates you from death. don't go cheap, save your pennies and buy a tree climbing harness.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128822 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic
The harness is relatively cheap. You still have a bunch of other stuff to buy (rope, helmet, biners, etc..)...it costs a little to do this sport and live.

I have a couple of rock climbing harnesses and would not use them tree climbing. You sit in your harness too long to use the rock climbing style harnesses.

Tree climbing is still pretty cheap compared to other hobbies out there once you get your initial setup.

Good luck

Later

Troy

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128829 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
I concur...the new tribe kids harnesses are just a hair more than a rock harness, so do you pocketbook AND kid well and go with new tribe!

love
nick

we want pictures!

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128830 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic
Also...don't forget that when you get kids stuff you need a double setup as you can't just have some 7 year old climb up a tree an hope they can figure things out at the top..you will need your own gear as well. Here is a basic/generic list of items you will need and should have to climb with kids...At least this is what I used yesterday climbing in the backyard with the kids.

Arborist Rope x 2
Adult New Tribe harness
Adult helmet
Kid New Tribe harness
Kid helmet
Carabiner x 2
Throwline and shot bag
Barksaver x 2
A little bit of prusik cord to help them climb

That, some training and a good dose of common sense are all you need to get up in a tree.

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128917 by randallr
Replied by randallr on topic
Might be worth mentioning that most rock harnesses (maybe all?) don't provide tie-ins for a personal lanyard. That's one thing I don't like about my Black Diamind kid's harness.

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128955 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Bstall...
What did you end up getting?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds