Velocity.

• mateo12
  • mateo12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128237 by mateo12
Velocity. was created by mateo12
Quick question guys/gals! I remember a photograph of some really nasty milking on Samson Velocity line on the flickr website... I've been searching forever here and I cannot seem to find the link, anyone know of it off hand, or have better luck searching for me? I'm sending it to someone as a good demo on why to milk a rope before you use it! and possibly not to puchase Velocity.

Thanks!

mateo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128427 by ron
Replied by ron on topic Velocity.
I can't tell you what the link is but I have a new 120 foot and 150 foot Velocity rope that I have used B53s and my favorite a Helical hitch numerous times, and I have yet to see ANY milking.

I can't explain the difference unless Samson has fine tuned their manufacturing process for Velocity rope.

I can milk the rope when it's not under load or tied off, but I've never seen it milk during ascent or descent.

I absolutely love Velocity rope.

I put eye splices in each end of a short length, and cut it in half to form two 6 foot split tails. That worked great. I also tried to feed the spliced eye through my leather Cambium Savers and they go right through.

Did I mention I love Velocity rope?

The only thing(s) I have noticed that are in any way not positive is the waxy coating. I think the waxy coating makes friction knots hold a bit too good. B53's have to be pulled pretty hard to get them to release during both ascent and descent. I've found that a Helical knot releases cleanly during ascent, grabs and holds fast and securely, and is easier to release and desend on than a B53 in Velocity rope.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128443 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Velocity.
Samson seems to have fine tuned things a bit so that Velocity does not seem to milk so much now. My new hank has not milked at all. I had to throw it in the washer when I first got it to take off some of that waxy coating, but now I'm very happy with it. I think it's very good rope, right up there with Blaze. I'm curious to see over time which one wears better.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128484 by ron
Leon,

For future reference, I considered throwing my Velocity in a machine as well, but I called Samson first. They discourage washing rope in a machine.

I don't think washing it in a machine is necessarily bad, they just discourage it.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128487 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Velocity.
Ron, did they explain WHY you shouldn't wash it in a machine?

Did they recommend another option for washing the rope?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128488 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Velocity.
posted this before, its a really quick and simplemethod thats APPROVED by ALL rope manufacturers:

you simply soak your rope in a bucket with a tiny amount of Dawn laundry liquid, then attach the rope washer to a hose and turn on the water (COLD) to full flow. Pull the rope thru, then pull it back the other way. takes less than ten minutes to completey clean and rinse a rope this way, SAFELY!

these are very common in rock climbing, SRT, Rescue, industry and othe rrope user circles.

the reason they dont recomend washing ropes in machines, is that the there is a possibility of the rope:

A: getting massively tangled

B: getting damaged by the impeller blades

C: getting caught under the impeller blade

D: too hot of temperature

E: remmnants of harsh cleaners/bleaches/chemicals in the washer machine

F: possibility of someone accidently dumping in large amounts of bleach or harsh detergents (people are stupid - it happens)

G: rope fibers (internal) getting twisted about in different directions.

If you really feel the absolute need to go this route, Daisy chain your entire rope, put into a mesh bag cloe the bag, and wash cold water, gentle cycle with a bunch of towels to cushion the blow.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128489 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Velocity.

Originally posted by SRT-Tech

A: getting massively tangled

No biggie. Daisy chain or bag it first, or worse, just untangle when you're done.

B: getting damaged by the impeller blades
[/quote]No biggie, use a front loader

C: getting caught under the impeller blade
[/quote]No biggie, use a front loader

D: too hot of temperature

[/quote]No biggie, cold water only.

E: remmnants of harsh cleaners/bleaches/chemicals in the washer machine. [/quote]Goodpoint, run an empty load through first.

F: possibility of someone accidently dumping in large amounts of bleach or harsh detergents (people are stupid - it happens)

[/quote]Keep an eye on it! You're right...people can be dumb sometimes

G: rope fibers (internal) getting twisted about in different directions. [/quote]No way. This can't be a risk. Pull the rope out afterwards, and inspect it...has anyone ever found anything post wash machine?

If you really feel the absolute need to go this route, Daisy chain your entire rope, put into a mesh bag cloe the bag, and wash cold water, gentle cycle with a bunch of towels to cushion the blow.

[/quote]Oh, whoops..you already said all that!!! Don't get me wrong, I like the CMI rope washer...but it's not worth it (in my eyes) if you have a front load washer, or a laundromat nearby

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128490 by ron

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Ron, did they explain WHY you shouldn't wash it in a machine?

Did they recommend another option for washing the rope?

love
nick

Yep, they said they had seen ropes seriously damaged by a machine. They said ropes get kinked, have ruptures, internal damage etc.

They recommend hand washing with a cloth only. No matter what I said, they stuck to hand washing.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128491 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Velocity.
HAHAHAHA :D:D Nick, the CMI washer is cheap 9less than 30 bucks), Portable (take it anywhere there is a tap or hose, and VERY effective with the tiny powerful spiral action of the water.

:D:D

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128497 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Velocity.
I'd like to see one of those rope washers in action. I'll have to check with the local rock climbing shop proprieter and see if he has any.

For what it's worth, I have been washing my ropes in a top loading washer for a few years now. I tightly daisy chain the rope and have never had any problems. I don't normally use bleach on my clothes, either, so I don't have to worry about that. We did just get a front loading washer at work now, so I will switch to using that one mainly because it is more convenient.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds