Mechanical Advantage sytems for ascending?

• SRT-Tech
  • SRT-Tech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127984 by SRT-Tech
anybody toyed around with multi pulley haul systems to get up VERY QUICKLY into the canopy?

I set up a 4:1 advantage sytem today, by doing the following:

1: throw line over limb about 60feet up.
2: pulled Mainline over the limb and back down to ground
3: removed throw line and attached Multi pulley system AND 200' of static line (2nd rope).
4: hauled pulley system/ haul line BACK up to about 4 feet under the limb
5: anchored the primary line around a neighbouring tree with tensionless hitch.
6: take slack out of haul rope and attach to harness. Add prussick rope to hauling end of rope (safety)
7. start pulling the haull rope. took about 30 seconds to ascend to the top. (smooth quick hauling on the rope)
8: to descend, grasp prussick and hold in hand, loosen it and feed the rope through with other hand (very easy to do , gravity/weight and all....). back on ground in about a 45 seconds.

I found it was a very gear intensive, but very effiecent and smooth way of rapidly accessing the tree top.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127985 by bill123
Replied by bill123 on topic Mechanical Advantage sytems for ascending?
Tengu taught us how to rig something similar in the Facilitator class. He called it the Super System. Pretty much the same as your pic but the system is not hung from the branch but slung around the branch just like in DRT. The climber is attached with a Blake's and pulls himself up, or you can assist from the ground. It's great for those with weak limbs but it usese quite a bit of rope.

There is a bunch in Michigan who specialize in getting the handicapped up in the trees. They have all sorts of interesting configurations for entering the canopy.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127986 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Mechanical Advantage sytems for ascending?
is this what you talking about?

thats norrmally what i use, nice and simple, less gear to lug around....although there are times i really like breaking out all the gear and rigging full on mechancial set ups :D

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127988 by moss

Originally posted by SRT-Tech
is this what you talking about?

What you're showing there is the standard DdRT or DRT setup. The Super System is an enhanced DRT setup that introduces 2 pulleys, one at the top and one just above the climber. It's designed so that it can be installed and removed from the ground. The climber ascends using a Blake's on the down rope and has a 3:1 mechanical advantage.
-moss

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127993 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Mechanical Advantage sytems for ascending?
AH!! gotcha....lol i had a brain freeze there for a minute...

:D

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds