• moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127562 by moss
I found this 4/19/06 equipment warning regarding the
Ascension and Basic Ascenders on the Petzl site:
Ascender slippage from incorrect loading

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop using my Petzl ascenders, just good to be aware of potential problems and how to avoid them.

Sounds like a low probablility problem for typical tree climbing use.

Apologies if this has already been covered.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127563 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Ascender Warning
Thanks Moss, I looks like the typical human error(s) that we have observed before. The question is why was there not a second ascenders used? ( Climber fell down 7 meters w/o damage). In our typical SRT ascenders set up even if the upper ascenders were to completely come off the rope ( not likely) with my CMI' ascenders the lower ascenders should grab and stop any unplanned descend. We had some discussion like this a few moons back and we agreed that the treeclimber/arborist was not using the gear correctly.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127570 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Petzl Ascender incorrect loading warning
Agreed Oldtimer. As mentioned in the bulletin, installing a screwlink or biner at the top or bottom of the ascender to trap and properly align the rope within the ascender for "off vertical" loading makes a lot of sense.

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127630 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic Re: Petzl Ascender
I use these and like them. I noticed the same thing that Petzl warns of. If the ascender is rotated, the cam does not grab immediately. In my experience, it has always grabbed, but not until loaded. The little time lag definitely increases the sphincter tone. I still have my lower ascender on the rope, so I have little fear of falling.

As a side note, I place a biner in the upper hole around the rope. I did this even before I read it in the instructions, not for the safety factor, but as a required extra step before switching from ascent to descent.

I use the Petzl Stop and really like it for descent. I rig the descender, load it, lower my upper ascender until I am hanging on the descender, then remove the safety biner. I do an extra check before removing the upper ascender.

That's my story....

Bob

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds