Do you GriGri?

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127426 by dude512
Do you GriGri? was created by dude512
Just looking to see how many of you use the Petzl GriGi for rappelling SRT?

Anything I should watch out for?

Later

Bakes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127427 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Yes, I do Gri Gri
I use it in several configurations. Mainly in a rapelling down the tree. I switch from SRT to the Grigri if am on the tree and use the dual end lanyard for safety but will continued tied to the Grigri while moving around. It always engages if something moves unspectanly. Another way to use it is in a RADS set up ( Rapid Ascend and Descend). This is a fairly easy way to go and down along the side of the tree. It is used by Researchers doing observations and hanging around in the canopy moving slowly up or down whitout having to disconect gear and stuff. Hope this answers you question. Moss and the others will post also other uses soon.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127428 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Do you GriGri?
Funny you mention the GriGri. I'm also looking to pick one up for SRT descent. I was talking to a rock climber about it and he mentioned that it's rated for 10mm and larger diameter line. So if you are thinking about using 9.5 mm static line the GriGri may not behave as expected. He also mentioned that Petzl is about to come out with a similar device for smaller diameter lines.
-moss

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127430 by elliotsu
Replied by elliotsu on topic It's good but beware of some rope
The Grigri is very good for Fly rope.
But if you use sport line with Grigri,beware of it,sometimes it slips,and it scared me.The sport line diameter is 7/16 inch.
I also use the Cinch,made by Trango.It is just like Grigri,smaller and light weight.the Cinch works very good with sport line.but the bar of Cinch is shorter then Grigri.that makes me a little painful while pulling down.
Grigri is a very good descending device,sometimes I use it in yoyo system for tying tree boat.

Elliot / Tree Climbing Taiwan
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Elliot

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127432 by mateo12
Replied by mateo12 on topic Do you GriGri?
Gri-Gri is a fine tool to be sure of, I use it mostly for emergency bail-outs and the yo-yo accending system.... I would suggest caution for long raps. though!!! If you are decending 50ft+ take it slow, and take a few breaks. One time on a 120ft rap. I had it sizzle (I heard it) on a wet rope when I passed a soggy spot. That is my fault for sure, but the Gri-Gri gets quite hot, so watch out.

mateo

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127443 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Do you GriGri?
The gri gri is only designed for less than 1/2" line. So for true 1/2" arborist line and a safer and smoother rappel I use the Gri Gri's big brother, the Petzl ID, which also has a panic release feature that is nice so if you panic and you grab it, it still won't release.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127445 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Do you GriGri?

Originally posted by moss
Petzl is about to come out with a similar device for smaller diameter lines.
-moss

maybe im misunderstanding something, but did you mean larger diameter lines? the gri gri is already made for smaller lines.

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127447 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Do you GriGri?
My GriGri is designed (and stamped) for 10mm-11mm ropes.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127449 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Do you GriGri?

Originally posted by Sitka
maybe im misunderstanding something, but did you mean larger diameter lines? the gri gri is already made for smaller lines.

I was referring to a rumored GriGri-like device for smaller than 10mm lines.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127452 by sitka12
does anyone use a gri gri or cinch instead of a friction hitch for Ddrt? are there any potential problems using them in that way?

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127453 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic nope don't like them
I like the winged eight and the tie off on it. Kind o like the new cars more gadgets and moving parts moe things to check on and wear out.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127456 by gaukelbaum
Replied by gaukelbaum on topic Yup, I use it in the yo-yo system.
An experienced climber taught me the yo-yo system last year. I had bought a grigri as part of a TCI standard Basic course recommended kit about three or four years ago, but they didn't cover SRT that weekend, so I didn't learn to use it until recently. So far it's the only SRT system I've used. I splurged on some mar-bars a few years ago, but I haven't made good use of those yet. (I think they need a chest box or a pulley to work correctly.) I currently have my heart set on the Pantin, but I think I'll buy a Treeboat and another rope and saddle first.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127457 by sitka12
if you ever want to get rid of those marbars i will take them off your hands for a good price. also, what is a yo-yo system? is it like a RADS set up where you can quickly switch from ascending to descending?

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127459 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Yoyo is the same.
The RADS name came out about 2 years after the rec. climbers named it the yoyo- meaning you could go up and down using the SRT system. It was introduced here in Atlanta by a climber who ended up with his climbers name as "Yoyo". His straight name was Bob which everyone quickly forgot. It is the system I use when I do treetop cat rescues. Shoot a line with a Big Shot high over the kitty, climb on it's blind side, and bag 'em. "Kats in the bag!" Now you know where that phrase comes from.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127461 by sitka12
whats the typical yo yo system look like? a handled ascender and pulley along with a gri gri type device on the saddle?

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds