Begin Climbing on the cheap.....

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127295 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic I'll weigh in...
I've always climbed wilderness mostly, and I started with:

2 biners--autolock
1 saddle (New Tribe if poss) (A comfortable harness goes a long way to allowing someone to learn well)
1 lenght of masons twine, braided
1 somewhat heavy object
1 rope 100'-150'long
1 ratty backpack taken from the kids
2 water bottles 16oz. ea (min)

If you can climb on that gear, and enjoy yourself adding gear to your pack will only make you better and allow you to spend more time in the tree. Most folks don't throw more than about 30' for a while, and pretty much everything else is minimums. You can even eliminate the biners if you are really hard-core.

By the way...my minimalist climbing days are done...I carry everything I have most climbs, cause getting stuck and needing something on the ground or at the house kind of stinks!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 3 days ago - 18 years 3 days ago #127383 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic In summary...
1- Helmet
2- Harness/Saddle
3- 120' climbing rope
4- Lanyard of some sort, maybe 20' long
5- long Throwline, with a makeshift stuff sack
6- short throwline
7- 2 throw weights
8- 3 locking 'biners
9- Friction saver of some sort
10-Accessory cord

So maybe these are the big 10? How should we modify this list? Is this something you would cut and give to a friend to get them started?

Now, on to the fun part. If your buddy ol' pal wanted your help to get all the stuff on the list, what are you going to buy from where? Keep in mind shipping costs!

This is the homework part.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 3 days ago - 18 years 3 days ago #127385 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Begin Climbing on the cheap.....
Well I just bit and bought a few things. I got stuff for a SRT set up since I am not convinced it is all that more "advanced." Plus with the fly there is no reason I can't do both SRT and DdRT.

Petzl Variobelt Saddle - $200
The Fly 120 feet -- $81
3 locking biners -- ~12 each = $36
Throw line set-up -- $29
CMI Ultra Ascenders -- ~$125 or so
CMI straps for the ascenders ~$59

I still need to get a lanyard to tie in at the top and such, but I have some static line I use for rock climbing anchors that will work for a bit. I already have a helmet and a few descender options as well so I did not need to get another.

Am I missing anything glaring? Not exactly cheap but then again, it never is to start up something new.

Later

Bakes

More
18 years 2 days ago - 18 years 2 days ago #127386 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Climbing On The Cheap
If the issue is lowest cost of the gear I would suggest a lower version for the same type of gear list;
New Tribe Saddle - $150 ( Ultralight)
Sportline 120 feet -- $70
3 locking biners -- ~12 each = $36
Throw line set-up -- $29
Add a friction Saver -- $27
Drop the Mech Ascenders -- ~$00 or so
Drop the straps for ascenders ~$00
Could be even lower if you go w/ a shorter rope.

More
18 years 2 days ago - 18 years 2 days ago #127388 by jackinthegreen
Replied by jackinthegreen on topic climbing kit
Plus Knife, whistle and ouch pouch (first aid kit) flask of tea and cheesey grin optional . and i suppose your going to have to take yer mobile (cell) :D

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 day ago - 18 years 1 day ago #127397 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic KNIFE!
What do you think folks? I always reccomend anyone working (playing) near rope to have a knife.

Do we need to set up the beginning climber with a knife, too?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 1 day ago - 18 years 1 day ago #127399 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic To Knife or Not to Knife?
I do not usually carry a KNIFE but I carry a folding saw instead soooooo.. I have never needed to cut anything like a rope that would require a knife but I do quite a bit of trimming of dead branches and stuff like that where the folding saw is more practical. Cada Loco con su tema!

More
18 years 1 day ago - 18 years 1 day ago #127409 by jackinthegreen
Replied by jackinthegreen on topic knife saw ? Both !
Its hard to butter your scone with a super accel 21 !!! (Im a poet and I know it I hope I dont blow It ) Carry a folding saw by all means theres no substitute for trimming that twig thats sticking in your neck /ear /etc. . Even a bit of deadwood if its a danger or in your way but I wouldnt want to cut a rope with one . Except in a real emergency (wily coyote just pushed an anvil off a cliff and its tied to your leg) . Idealy if you need to cut a rope In the field for whatever reason put two rings of insulating tape (electricians) around the rope and cut between the tapes to avoid fraying and seal with your trusty zippo ! . that will suffice in the short term till you can whip it or shrink wrap it So maybe we need to add tape and fire scource to the list . Incidently I make a knife out of the bottom cutting edge of silky polesaw blades when they get old or snap you can cut a rope or even butter a scone with one at a push . Its quite unobtrusive as were not allowed any thing to big and scary in the u.k. as we might cut our selves ! .
if I can work out how to send you a pic of one on this ere computer thingy you can knock one up yourself if your of a mind to p.s. I dont understand the spanish compadre (mi duck)

:)

More
18 years 16 hours ago - 18 years 16 hours ago #127417 by climbingjohn
Replied by climbingjohn on topic Swiss Army Knife
My swiss army knife, with a built-in saw about 4 inches long, does wonders for trimming small deadwood and such. From recent experience (my first NewTribe order was 'minimalist'), one quickly desires the 'extra gear' as it simply makes life easier.

Shipping costs: Some of the items you can get 'on the cheap'. Anyone know of a good cheap throwline alternative to the nylon stuff NewTribe offers? At the rate I go through it, I'd like a hardware-store alternative.

Skip ascenders and SRT stuff for the minimalist approach, in my completely inexperienced opinion. dDRT has less 'gear' and less mechanical parts, for the beginning students....

Accessory cord - I got mine at REI. Saves on shipping, but not gas. I use it for a prusik loop too.

One important addition: A Rope Sleeve. The -very first- tree I climbed, I immediately saw the need for some protective device for my poor rope. You guessed it, I climbed a pine. Poor rope still isn't clean.... In fact, until I got a sleeve, I couldn't climb half the tall trees around here! It's not mandatory, but is important. Perhaps on top '15' items, if not top 10.

Climbing John

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127454 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic to get started
book
rope
helmet
harness (I started with a rock harness, not comfy but it worked and made me happy)
One throw line with weight (I used 250 pound test kite string to start and a homemade throwbag)
rope/tree saver

instead of the knife get the cellphone with the quick dial to 9-1-1,
NO KNIFE EVER for a beginner and most advanced climbers :-). medical sissors are better, no sharp points and they need to be closed to cut, not just a flick of the wrist.

options are the biners and the nice stuff. harnesses, bags, extra throw line/weight
As with me the nicer things will come with getting better and NEEDING more bags and a better harness.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127470 by jackinthegreen
Replied by jackinthegreen on topic "Get sorted"
I got to say I agree with Nick from w.I. as regards the knife issue im not talking an " Arkansas toothpick", 3" with a lock depending on your state laws , even a swiss army knife would suffice as sugested by climbing John . A cell phone is o.k. but you can't get a boy scout out of a horse's hoof with one ! I got to agree about "most advanced climbers" though I would'nt trust em' with owt sharp either ! . I think you might want to rethink the position of "biners " on your kit list . You can get away with using the rock harness but biners are'nt an option there essential kit :)

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127471 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Begin Climbing on the cheap.....
Aye on the knife. A small, sharp, locking folding blade is sufficient. I've never had to cut myself (or anyone else) free of the rope but I want that option available for self rescue or rescue of another climber.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127472 by jackinthegreen
Replied by jackinthegreen on topic Begin Climbing on the cheap.....
Exactamundo moss ! based on the premise that Id sooner have one and not need it than need it and not have one regards:)

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127474 by lizardman
Replied by lizardman on topic Begin Climbing on the cheap.....
I use a Buck whittaker knife wickedly sharp cuts rope like a knife thru butter.

www.mighty-oak.co.uk

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127530 by jackinthegreen
Replied by jackinthegreen on topic gear
Nice choice lizardman ! Short approach or revolution ? , they'l both clip straight to the harness if need's be . Sorry it took so long to post a reply , Im getting no tree work phones dead man , so i got a gig mowing and landscapeing which is tying up my time pretty much . Hope every things well with you and your's . I've not climbed in a fortnight . I've got a big beech lined up but its turned out wet this weekend so it'l be like climbing a bar of soap . think il give it a miss , I might invest in a new harness strictly for rec climbing as my old willans is getting on a bit any sugestions ? . what do you climb in ?

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds