• nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127245 by nickfromwi
Five Fingered barefoot? was created by nickfromwi
So who's going to be the first to try?

http://vibramfivefingers.com/index.html

The store I work at sells them....I get a discount. Give me the cash and I'll sacrafice and be the guinie pig :D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127246 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Five Fingered barefoot?
S W E E T !

Nick,
Your my hero!
First gas-mask climbing in sandals and now this.

What’s the suggested retail price on a pair of size 13 ?

Signed,
Big Foot
AKA: "The Hammer":D

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127247 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Five Fingered barefoot?
This could revolutionize footlocking, just run the rope between the big toe and the second toe! And for SRT no ascenders needed, just engage big toe on each foot and walk up the rope. A prusik back-up is advised just in case you get a toe cramp.

EJ, New Jersey is the only place east of the Mississippi where these are available:
Bills of Millburn

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127248 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Five Fingered barefoot?
The sole is "siped" It's REALLY awesome way to get more traction....anyone seen it before? Used siped soles?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127249 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Five Fingered barefoot?
Those are pretty wild looking shoes Nick. Have you tried them on yet? Are they comfortable? How much do they cost for a pair?

They look like they might be great for some mellow rec climbing, or on the sailboat.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127250 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Feetware
I've busted on you guys for footware before, but even coming from a former shoe salesman ("Aw! Jeez, Peg" Al Bundy for you TV ignorant folks) that's a little wierd. I'll stick to my big 'ol boots.

I've got poor periphal vision, and am always banging into stuff, I'd likely rip a toe off in those!

I have recently switched to vibram soles, after avoiding for a long time, I don't know about the "siped" but the non slip attributes of vibram stuff is pretty nice, and they are relativly flat enough to get good grip on the rope. The heel is not defined enough for me to do a closed footlock, but I can open footlock much better now.

What's next Nick? Bio-mechanically enhanced body suits, adding strenght to your he-man footlock?

Climb Safe!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 3 weeks ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #127251 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Five Fingered barefoot?

Originally posted by Leon
Those are pretty wild looking shoes Nick. Have you tried them on yet? Are they comfortable? How much do they cost for a pair?

They look like they might be great for some mellow rec climbing, or on the sailboat.

Here's where you can see models available and retail price:
toe candy

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127304 by gaukelbaum
Replied by gaukelbaum on topic What a strange new world.
http://vibramfivefingers.com/index.html

Respectably freakish! These seem perfect for that 1% or so of the population who compulsively actively use their feet as hands. I don't know if the world at large is ready.

I'm also not sure how long something like those would hold up. They remind me of the Nike Air Rift and Royal Elastics shoes in that ninja-Tabi style (there's that Ninja word again) that strange urban hipster-types are into.

For something more likely to stand up to woodland use, go right to the source and ask the Japanese:

http://www.marugo.ne.jp/english/product/tabi/index.htm

Those might be better all around for footlocking and making the forest floor approach. Maybe not as useful for picking fruit and nuts aloft, but still good for unfettering your Inner Simian. Fruit and nuts--that's what hands are for. I have no idea how expensive they would be once you factor in shipping from Japan.

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127306 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Five Fingered barefoot?
Let's hope these folks don't start making underwear.

Sorry.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127312 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Size 13? Are you Bigfoot in the flesh?
Elotrojake- Uh....how can I say this? Are your feet really that large?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127423 by gaukelbaum
Replied by gaukelbaum on topic I took the plunge.
I bought the all-black ones. They're awesome. They feel great. They're great in the woods and on the ground. They might not be perfect for tree climbing.

First of all, there is no use for these things for "tabi-style footlocking." They are too soft and flexible. Footlocking demands some stiffness in the sole, and these don't have that. No, if you want that, I have seen the future of footlocking, foot prusiks, and foot ascenders, and that future is the >>[url="http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?comp=SHE"]Pantin.[/url]<<

But back to the Vibrams. The soles are perfect. You somehow feel everything, but none of it hurts you. You can step on a big ol pinecone just fine. I got a little foolhardy and walked across a 100' fallen poplar over three streams, and the flexible soles and individual articulated toes did help keep my balance. I felt like I belonged in a circus.

So I zig-zagged about 40' up a dense magnolia with lots of close branches starting at ground level. I modified some socks, because the shoe uppers don't cover enough, and I don't want the tops of my feet hitting poison ivy on the way up. It had just rained that day, and on damp ground these things WILL get soaked. They're very breathable, though. They are lined with some kind of microsuede, the stitching is simultaneously invisible and unbreakable, I abused the stew out of these, and they stood up just fine. They can be machine washed cold and drip-dried. And if your feet are clean when you put them on, the insides will still be clean after you take them off unless you get them soaked in mud.

Back to the circus part. You will look like a FREAK in these. 25% of the people who see you wearing these will get it immediately and demand to know where they can get their own. The other 75% will look at you like you just coughed up a live frog. Either enjoy it or avoid it.

The Vibrams came in "handy" (heh) that day when I had to reach for a dangling hammock lead. But mostly they felt much more welcome on the ground. Walking on jagged rocks by a stream is probably the ideal use for them. The feeling is addictive.

The sizes run big. Buy at least one size smaller than you normally buy if you do buy. You might not end up using them for tree climbing, but you will wear them when you get the chance. You won't be disappointed. They have a great product, and pretty soon you'll see them popping up everywhere. They'll be as household a name as Merrill or Keen.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds