Footstrap Project

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127215 by nickfromwi
Footstrap Project was created by nickfromwi
I have OCD when it comes to certain things, and sometimes if I get what I think is an idea worth pursuing, I have to stop what I am doing and jot it down and draw it out. Well, here's an idea I got the other day. I scanned the drawing, then re-wrote the chicken scratch so you can actually read it.

Here's the pic....

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127216 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Footstrap Project
I usually just hang a webbing loop from a 'biner and clip that to a Ropeman mini-ascender. Now I can clip this setup to the ropeman, and it will be easily adjust for different people. It will usually be used for people that have never climbed before, or have climbed very little.

I made the thing the other day. All that's left is to take it out and try it to make sure it actually works!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127223 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Let us know how the road test goes.
I like the idea of a extra stitching to keep the loops open for the feet. Did you look at the etriers used by rock climbers in aid climbing?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127228 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Footstrap Project
That is exactly where I got the idea for the stiffness. The ones I saw had flexible plastic inserts, also. I thought I could use the plastic from a 1 gallon milk jug, but I knew my sewing machine would never get through that (it's a weak machine...I'm looking for an industrial as we speak!), so I just went with the tripled webbing.

I'll keep y'all updated.

love
nick

More
18 years 4 weeks ago - 18 years 4 weeks ago #127231 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Nick Foot Straps
Hello Nick,
I use something similar to that idea for my Ascenders but they are regular Dynema loop runners less than one inch wide. I put the part where the stitching is along the low part where the foot loop is and they usually stay open so I can take them off or put then on without much trouble. They do not have to be terribly strong but they are rated a 27 kNewtons anyway. I buy them from REI for around 5 to 7 bucks depending on how long they are. Thanks for the drawings

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127333 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic it works!
I don't know if this link is going to work...I'm new to the Flikr thing, but I'll give it a go.

Some are just silly photos, but there are a couple of the footstrap.

Click for the Flickr Slideshow

love
nick

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127335 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Footstrap Project
Nick,

Staves made from five gallon buckets would work too. Cut them in strips and rivet to the footloops. You could take advantage of the curve of the bucket to spring the stirrup open.

Threading the top, diagonal. part of the stirrup through 3/8" or so ID plastic tubing would work too.

Nice compact, and inexpensive, setup.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds