• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126871 by moss
Can I be saved from gear lust? was created by moss
I attended the New England Grows annual trade show yesterday and tried out a couple of different saddles. I currently climb on a New Tribe standard w/side D's which I'm happy with. The trouble is I really liked the Butterfly II, the mobility and body position control was wicked cool as we say in Boston. I may be a goner on this one. Can I justify having two completely different but equally wonderful saddles or would it be a blatant case of conspicuous consumption?
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126872 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic
Uh oh. OCGD strikes again! Obsessisive Compulsive Gear Disorder, that is.

Go for it, man! I also climb on a New Tribe and have been toying with the idea of getting a Butterfly. Let us know how you like it.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126867 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic
Thinking of getting some new gear?
Go For It ! ! !

As a self admitted “Gear Junkie” I have a New Tribe saddle for SRT and a Buckingham ProMaster series for DRT/arbor work, plus the fall-restraint harness and Klein linemans gear I have at work. Add to this two duffel bags packed with alloy trinkets, most of which never see the light of day.
(But they look sweet) :D

My advice to you is: Purchase the saddle and then post a follow-up report here on the form, complete with photos of your new gear!

Obsessisive Compulsive Gear Disorder
Feed The Need!
Ej

P.S. Trade shows – YES! :) Bet you had a blast. . .

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126873 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
Clearly I've asked the wrong people, you guys are drooling and it's not even your gear! Let me know if you want to join my new support group to help "People who can't say no to new gear and know it and still can't say no".

Thanks for the positive support by the way :-)
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126874 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic
The only thing missing would be the ability to have more than one with different colors to match your mood, or the time of year, or if you want to be stealthy, etc. ----hahahahahaha!
Go for it!
I enjoy the versatility also of a different saddle for work vs. rec. climbing. I use the Buckingham Master IV for work, which has many more tie in options and body control options as well since I have a front floating D on mine. It makes work much more enjoyable and is as comfortable.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126875 by Electrojake

Originally posted by charlieb
The only thing missing would be the ability to have more than one with different colors to match your mood, or the time of year. . .

Chuck, that’s brilliant!
Designer saddle wear.

Leon, get me some color swatches. . .
I’ll get on the phone with NewTribe.

Moss, warm up the VISA card,
This is gonna be great! :D

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126878 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Designer Saddles?
Back in 1999 when I first went to climb at Joyce Kilmer with the Outside Mag reporter we had two designers from New York in their designer saddles.

The lady had a custom made saddle in lepord print and the guy's was zebra.

Far Out !!!!

See you at the top,
Dan

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126879 by Electrojake
“Pimp My Saddle”

Originally posted by TreeTramp
The lady had a custom made saddle in lepord print and the guy's was zebra.

Z e b r a ?
Somebody catch me, I’m gonna faint. . .

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126880 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
EJ, how about a patent leather saddle to match your super smooth shoes? (see EJ's post #3 in this thread: Climbing shoes )

I'm curious to know "where are they now?" (the couple with the designer saddles), they're living legends!

I'm starting to get an idea, a rec climbing event with creative attire encouraged. Just as long as it doesn't compromise safety. We might have to call in Tom Dunlap to do pre-climb inspection for this event.
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126884 by Electrojake
Safety inspection – good point!
However, Ralph Lauren or Giorgio Armani, might be better suited to do the judging on this one.

Ahh, the joy of going appallingly off-topic :)

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126958 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic
Step back, let a professional through.

We've just started a new 12 step group here in my area - GA.

"Hi. My name is Eric and I'm a Gear - Aholic" And the group goes "Hi Eric"

Step one - I've realised that I am powerless over my compulsion to buy newer and "funner" gear.

Step two - I've come to recognize that I need a Higher Power to free my from my addiction.

Step three - I've given my Visa card to my Higher Power (my wife).

End of problem. ;)

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126960 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
Docteric I'm showing signs of advanced pathology. I have an extra savings account with a small balance that I conveniently forget about but strangely, when ever I get an equipment fixation, I have total recall and there always seems to be just barely enough money in it. Yes, I'm hiding equipment money.

Hi my name is Moss and I'm helpless before gear that works well and makes climbing a more enjoyable experience. I hope there isn't a cure. Or if there is that it won't leave me standing on the ground looking up into a tree.
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127016 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic
I think now I have a problem. I just maxed out my CC buying a $350 saddle along with the many other toys and educational material I bought. Also I have a loan from my employer for gear for about $300.
I think it is a sherrill's fault to tell you the truth along with american arborist supplies. If they didn't come with all this fancy, comfortable and easy to use stuff I wouldn't buy it.
So our conclusion it is this:
We do not have a buying problem,
it is just that equipment stores have much more power over our wallets then we do.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127020 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic
It's time for a thought shift. Too often I hear people talking about buying toys or giving someone the jaws for buying a new piece of equipment. This is wrong and it has to stop...

Remember...toys aren't tax-deductible, tools are! ;)

Even Scourge approves of new saddles, at the sacrifice of her catnip allowance. Gotta love understanding cats!

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127023 by moss
Replied by moss on topic
Agreed Tom, thinking in terms of life support and optimizing a climbing system, we're not really talking about toys. Since many of us are non-pro climbers, our friends and loved ones may not see it that way. I'm lucky that my wife is supportive of my climbing.

Interesting the way you rigged your bridge on the Butterfly saddle, using stopper knots to anchor your custom bridge on the clevis (what's the plural for clevis, clevi?). Nifty solution and cool cat you got there.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds