Pictures of Big Shot triggers

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126269 by oldtimer
Pictures of Big Shot triggers was created by oldtimer
Anyone has the old pictures that Dan posted on this old posting?. I will be getting a Big Shot next week and will love to install a trigger like Dan's design. He sent me alredy a picture of the Panic safety trigger but an illusration/pictures will make it easier to put up correctly.
Literate impared!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126276 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
I'd love to see one also.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126280 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
I've used the stainless steel snap shackle release for a long time. It's spendy but works great.

A little while ago I bought a trigger release for bow shooting. The mechanism is nice and compact. The release is cheap too. around $15. I will wonder if it will hold up the the loads from the BS though.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126467 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic big shot trigger
I mounted the bolt and handle from a bicycle seat post to the shaft of my catapult. It's one of those quick release handles that flips to tighten. The pouch is made out of mesh, so I tied a sturdy line on the out side bottom and threaded it through some vinyl tubing so it would roll off the catch. This makes a stiff "u" on the bottom of my pouch that I flip the handle thing through. I hold the handle down with my thumb and let go to fire. By doing this I can point the whole thing with one or two hands. Firing like a gun instead of a mortar improves acuracy big time. Next I want to mount a green laser pointer to it.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126468 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic Trigger pics
This is what I was talkin bout

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126469 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic Trigger in action
load it first the pouch gets tight

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126473 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
Nice innovation Ajakz, thanks for posting it.
-moss

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126475 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
A wooden pole? Yikes:(

I'd like to see the rest of that homemade model.

I love my big shot. I got it free from TCI!!!:D:D

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126498 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic Sure, this is my FIRST try
I used a wrist rocket (real cheap model it's what was in the my parts box) it was made to have ammo stored in the handle. I knocked off the door on the bottom and inserted a handle I cut off a paint roller. The handle was tapered, hard plastic and female pole threaded. A keeper screw or two later in the sides and it is as secure as can be. Then I bent the bars backward and bent them to point down, Attached extra thick (1/4 inch wall thickness) latex tubing and threaded the pouch. It's made out of nylon netting (like from backpacks) sewn with a heavy duty sewing machine. The wooden pole I must admit is not the coolest part of this, so far in the spirit of "what can I get done for free" I used the only pole on the property with a threaded head. The wood shows no sign of strain or stress and the working end is very secure, I still need to do something like cut down, washer and cap screw the long thread sticking out of the trigger but I want to upgrade the pole first (tax season...sigh). The line bag on the front just sort of made sence. The wrist brace is detachable but gives such a usefull home to the bad thats been mocking me for so long. I put a tennis ball on the end so I can hip load it. And a lanyard friction hiched to it I can easily clip it and pull it up. I know it's small but it still will throw 10 oz 60' vert which is nice considering how you aim it, point it like a wand.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126505 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
A suggestion for upgrading your pole, Ajakz: Get a painter's fiberglass extension pole.

Get the one for about $25-$30 from a real paint store, not from Home Depot/ Lowe's, etc. The cheaper version from the do-it-yourself stores has a fiberglass outer shaft and an aluminum inner shaft that will collapse under stress. The one at the paint store is all fiberglass.

Although, I think it was Dan House who said he has had some success with the aluminum pole by inserting a wooden dowell inside.

In the end, I probably spent almost the cost of a Big Shot building my "Cheap Shot", but I had fun doing it. I always like to build my own equipment even if it isn't always practical.

I like your trigger. I may add it to mine.

Regards,
-Knothead

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126512 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Pictures of Big Shot triggers
Using a wooden or light metal tube for the shaft could lead to injury.

Someone bought a Big Shot from Sherrill and put it on the top of a wooden pole saw section. The pole broke at the ferrule and the head of the BS came back and busted the guys face pretty bad.

BE VERY careful about what you use for the pole section. My BS is setup with two four-foot sections of the green fiberglass poles. When I pull it back to the full eight fet both of the sections get a bow in them. I would be terrifed to use anyhing but these sections.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds