What to do about Bees!??

• charlieb
  • charlieb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125746 by charlieb
What to do about Bees!?? was created by charlieb
Anybody have any ideas as to what to do or carry in case of a bee attack?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125747 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Prevention is the best strategy
If you know that you're allergic to bee venom then you would carry an EpiPen or equivalent epinephrine (adrenaline) delivery system.

Otherwise prevention through observation is the best strategy. When you do your pre-climb tree assessment look for paper nests (bald-faced hornet) attached to branches. They often build their nests in clumps of fine branches and leaves. For honey bees or other cavity dwelling stinging insects look for regular activity: bees flying in and out of a cavity or hole. A hive can be too high in a large tree to be observable from the ground. When you're climbing always be aware of bee and wasp/hornet activity. If you see them before you're on top of a nest then you can back off safely.

European or domestic honey bees (Apis mellifera) are non-aggressive but a hive in a tree should be avoided. Africanized honey bees are physically similar to their docile cousins and are well known to be extremely aggressive. Clearly you don't want to be climbing in a tree with an active hive of any species of honey bee since you can only determine the difference by their behavior, by then it's too late :-)

Individual or foraging bees away from the nest are not a hazard. Even if they are buzzing around your head they are only investigating and not attacking. Swatting at them can provoke them to sting.

Here's a good page for bee safety and first aid:
Bee safety

I don't believe there are any aerosol insecticides that would protect you from bees defending a nest. You wouldn't want to do a pre-emptive attack unless there was some other reason that a nest or hive had to be destroyed (tree removal or a proximity hazard to your house or family for instance).
-moss

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125748 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic What to do about Bees!??
Thanks Moss.
Great info.
I guess I'm always concerned with what to do if I'm ascending and unknowingly come up near a nest. Obviously try to descend quickly, but what if some follow you, should we carry a spray?

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125750 by moss
Replied by moss on topic What to do about Bees!??
Others who've experienced an attack in a tree can comment on whether they think a spray would've helped for defense. I've been stung multiple times in various situations by hornets and bees defending nests but never in a tree. Bees and other stinging insects attack from all directions and usually in large numbers. The sprays have a fairly narrow stream designed to pinpoint a hive or nest. I think they would be useless while you're under attack. Best you can do is protect your eyes and retreat as quickly and safely as you can then be prepared to administer first aid.

Being observant while you are ascending will give you excellent protection. There's always the possibility that you will still run into a hive but I think you can really improve your odds by paying attention to insect activity in the tree.
-moss

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125751 by moss

Here's a Bald-faced Hornet nest photographed last year. These are very aggressive hornets. I was able to get quite close to the nest by moving slowly. The hornets had favorite air routes coming and going from the nest, I made sure not to block one of these routes. I also kept an eye on the sentrys on the nest whose job is to hang around and watch for danger. If they showed signs of increasing activity I would move back slowly.

I'm mentioning all this to argue that you can read them like any other animal and reduce the chances of any problems. They have their rules and they're consistent in their behavior (much more predictable than humans).
-moss

• charlieb
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125756 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic What to do about Bees!??
Awesome pic.!
Thanks for the insights.
I'll try to be more aware and study their habits. How do you know if you're in their routes?
Anybody else been attacked while in the tree and have any insights as to what can be done?

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125757 by moss

Originally posted by charlieb
How do you know if you're in their routes?

When you're in the vicinity of a nest watch for a couple of minutes and you'll notice that the bees have some favorite routes in and out, kind of like planes approaching and leaving an airport. If you're in one of the routes you'll get buzzed.

Here's a report on Elliot Su including a bee sting experience:
Taipei Times article on Elliot Su and tree climbing

Joe Maher mentioned being attacked by Africanized honey bees in this TCC thread, you have to scroll down a little to find his story:
Joe's bee story

-moss

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds