Suggestions for "light" rigging line

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125244 by moss
I'm taking 2-4" diameter dead branches out of a tree that I climb. I'd like to lower them to the ground rather than drop them. The canopy on this tree is very high so I'm thinking that a lighter weight line would be best for handling up there. Some of the 1/2" and 5/8" bull lines in the catalogs look too heavy for what I want to do.

Any suggestions for a lighter rigging line or should I use the 1/2" stuff?
Thanks!
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125245 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Rigging lines
I have been doing alot of tree trimming on my trees and next to my house and I use regular line from Home Depot ( about 500 lbs capacity) not the 10000 lbs called for in the Sherril catalogs for professional removal which by the way, I will not attent to do. Most of the branches that I have taken down are less than 200 to 300 pounds but what you have to be careful with is where you tie to, how you cut and make sure that you are out of the away of the branch because they certainly move in strange ways when you cut them down so be carefull keep your life rope away from the saw or chain saw and double tie yourself to make sure you stay safely in the tree during the process. If it looks dangerous - it probably is! Leave it to a professional better. Sherril catalogs has a l;ot of suggestions for lowering rigs, tying methods and other nice rigging ideas. Good Luck.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125246 by moss
Thanks Oldtimer, that's good advice, I'll check out Home Despot (as we call it) for rope. I'm cutting with a handsaw only and not going after large diameter branches. This is a big old Honey Locust with all kinds of small and medium size hangers, and dead branches still attached to the tree. It's a long term project which I will go at slowly and carefully.
-moss

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125256 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic OldTimer, ya got a twofer
Thanks for the question and reply. I, too, am cutting out some smallish branches from my tree (an old pine in my case). didn't have any bull lines so I was just dropping them. Dropped one on my dog's run wire - yes I was smart enough to make sure the dog was inside at the time.

I had hoped to figure out how to lower them more gently and know I have a prety good idea. Thanks:D

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125266 by moss
I checked out two local Home Depots for rigging line, neither of them had their rope section well stocked and the stuff they had was not up to snuff. I ordered 150 ft of 1/2" Samson Pro Master 3-strand from Wesspur, the price is very reasonable.
-moss

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125267 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Rigging Rope
Moss
Good call on getting a better quality rope. The stuff that I got from the Depot is falling apart after a few months of work, so I will be ordering stronger rigging rope from a Real Rope Supplier in the near future since I have quite a bit more work to do on my dying trees! I have become pretty good at using small pulleys for lowering the cut branches to the ground. This set up gives me better control of the pieces and allows me to redirect the piece to the safest spot in the drop area. Not dogs, kids or people allowed there for their own safety. Very Few close calls so far including being hit in the chin once. I guess Practice makes Perfect!

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128432 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Suggestions for "light" rigging line
Black widow!

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128433 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Suggestions for "light" rigging line
I guess it's sorta too late, but I woulda gone with a 3/8th Yalex....light weight and over 5000lbs strong and priced similarly to the....stuff....you get at the hardware store.

You made a good choice, though, with the sampson.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128442 by leon123
This guy has some excellent rope deals on his ebay store. He gets odd bits left over from the Samson factory. You'll find some good rigging lines as well as Arbormaster and Velocity climbing lines. Very cheap!

http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Rope-and-Line_Arborists-Lines_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128447 by moss

Originally posted by SRT-Tech
Black widow!

In my case I'm not using a portawrap so I like having 1/2" diameter to grab with my hands. The Sampson 3 strand has worked out fine and is holding up very well. Nowadays when I drop a 4" or smaller diameter branch I girth a sling a littleways up the branch, then girth it with a biner at the union leaving slack in the sling, cut the branch and catch it with the sling. Then throw it down to the landing spot. I use the rigging line for larger branches that I can't bomb down.

The Black Widow is interesting stuff, I just don't have a use for it at the moment. It might be good to carry in the car as an emergency rescue line. I recall that one of the rope makers has come up with a very strong heat resistant and narrow diameter line for the New York City fire department to use for self rescue/emergency rappel from high rise fires.
-moss

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128454 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Suggestions for "light" rigging line
Moss, several manufacturers make lines like that. Sterling is one that comes to mind. I think it is a Pobon/Vectran blend.

Let's see some pics of the tree throughout the process!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds