Buying New Gear

• joesoup
  • joesoup's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124940 by joesoup
Buying New Gear was created by joesoup
I am fixina start some recreational climbing in Georgia. I have my own beautiful grove of Red and White Oaks, and Hickory.
All the gear I have now is for tree removal. What kind of economical tree seat and rope should I purchase, and what other must haves would you recommend for first time DdRT climbs?

Thanks, and maybe one day I can open up my grove to the Public and see you there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124941 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Buying New Gear
Well, leave the spikes/hooks/gaffs on the jobsite would be the start.

What saddle do you have? That might be sufficient to get you started.

And rope, what climbing line do you use?

So howzabout you tell us what you have first, and we'll guide you from there.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• joesoup
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124942 by joesoup
Replied by joesoup on topic Not Much
Well, i only used rope as a strap in to get over branches when removing. The only thing i used as a seat was a 12' piece of triple twist tied into a "ranger's seat" that I learned to repel with in the service. I need to buy at least one piece of 150'-200' climbing line, and am not sure what kind of seat I want, but i know that ranger seat is not comfortable for long periods.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124945 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Suggestions for New Climber
Joesoup
Here are some suggestions that I have posted previously for another new climber.
Buy the Jeff Jepson book Tree Climbers Companion for a basic info that you need. Here are some links that will be usefull in getting the gear that you will need.
Take a class from one the climbing schools in Georgia, etc. Attend the Next climbing rendevous in Oregon in August timeframe details will be comming soon in the Announcements area.

For a basic gear set see pictures here:
www.newtribe.com

Climbing Technique great pictures of knots( It is in Italian) but the pictures are the best i have seen in a lot time.
http://www.treeclimbing.it

Climbing Supplies and Great (free)Catalog
http://www.wtsherrill.com/

More Supplies and good Fly Rope price
http://www.wesspur.com/

Good Luck, be safe & Climb High!

• joesoup
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124991 by joesoup
Replied by joesoup on topic Thanks Old Fella
That Italian site is awesome!! I even seen a few knots that I haven't run across in any of my books. I used google to translate it, but it was still pretty unreadable. But the picx are Great. I have also found a lot of great sites in the UK, apperantly the sport is growing there too.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126181 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Buying New Gear
I just got some more new stuff I ordered from Sherrills including the Big Shoot. I tried it and the bag ended up two yards across my neighbors driveway. Not bad! ( Not harm done ) but it was fun seeing it flying across all the trees.
I also got a new "Ultralight Harness" It has less metal pieces ( mostly strap loops). It includes small carabiner holder loops on the leg pads and the extrawide leg support pads. I will try it this Weeekend and post the report to the board.

I also got a Pantin foot ascender to try the new Frog System version of SRT Climbing and will file report later on that and other gear.
Feel Just like a kid after Christmas w/ new toys.

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127368 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic New Catalog
I just got the New Vermeer/Sherrill Arborist Supply Catalog for 2006. As usual it is full of "toys" for the Arborists and many of the tools we use in RTC.
It has great pictures and examples of Gear Use as well as gear comparasions.

They did a great job as usual. If you do not get this catalog but want to get a copy for reference just contact Sherrill or one of the local Vermeer Distributors in your area it is a good reference to have available.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds