Ohio to Pittsburgh

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124282 by jimk123
Ohio to Pittsburgh was created by jimk123
Because access will be limited to the forum after 10-Jan-05, I'd like to post that I'm in Columbus Ohio, and I'm available for climbs as far away as Pittsburgh.

My adventure interests are focused on adult leadership in the Boy Scouts. I'm hiking the Buckeye Trail on a sporadic basis. I'm looking to expand the opportunities for climbing.

Regards,
JimK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124301 by karinholm
Replied by karinholm on topic pittsburgh
Dear JimK,
Speaking of Pittsburgh, do you (or anyone else) know if there is a "certified" climbing group (grove or trained instructors or whatever) in Pittsburgh-area? For some reason (maybe it was from scanning the forum), I thought there wasn't anything.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can best try out technical tree climbing for the first time. We travel to Pittsburgh every year to visit my sister, so maybe I could check it out there.

Please email me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Best regards,
Karin in Geneva, Switzerland

================
Dreaming about trees!

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124308 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Pittsburgh
Karin,

It's such a small world.

The city of Pittsburgh is climber friendly in the sense that they hold tree climbing competitions. However, there isn't any recreational tree climbing training going on. After playing phone tag with the coordinator of the competitive climbing, my contact died. What are the odds? Thus, I'm at square one and need to start the process of making contact again.

Rock climbing and rapelling is accepted 30 miles north of Pittsburgh at a State Park called McConnell's Mill. This lays the ground work for being accepted with tree climbing. Take I-79 north. It's worth seeing the covered bridge, scenic tumbling water and jagged cliffs. In my late evening hikes there, I've been scouting for places to climb. Sunset has been the limiting factor.

Let's stay in touch. I'm in Pittsburgh several days a month.

Regards,
JimK

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124311 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic New Email
New email address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124314 by badger
Replied by badger on topic Pittsburgh
There is some really good climbing to be had in Pittsburgh, but all that I have found is on private property. We made a phenomenal climb over Thanksgiving and I would be more than willing to take anyone else up who wants to make the trek out to Pittsburgh. I will be there over Christmas and again at the end of March. Perhaps we can set something up for then.

Cheers,
Lauren

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds