Baltimore, MD

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122871 by nickfromwi
Baltimore, MD was created by nickfromwi
Hello folks. For some reason there was extensive conversation under the New Jersey post regarding Baltimore. I have an addition to make, but thought I'd start a new thread...

I went for a test climb this weekend. I tried out a nice oak at Druid Hill Park, just off the I-83. I bunch of people walked by and saw me, and one cop drove by and did not stop, but she may not have seen me.

I spoke 2 weeks ago with a police officer there and she was skeptical about permitting it. However, she did not say NO. She said to check with the park administrator. They have the final decision. I don't have their phone number and the office is closed. I am going to try to dig it up and contact them.

There are hundreds of marvelous trees at this park. It would be great if this was a "safe" place for people to climb!

I'll keep you updated.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122873 by josh123
Replied by josh123 on topic Agreed!!
Nick-
I'm glad you started this new post. I was getting tired of scrolling through the New Jersey forum. Like we've posted before, I cannot agree with you more. Druid Hill Park has some amazing trees and it would be great if we could climb there uninhibited. I hate looking over my shoulder when I've climbed there. Being on guard is not why I climb, I do it for the relaxation aspect. Someone else on this message board said they had actually been kicked out by some cops while they were climbing. This was after the cops had watched them for a while. I'd love to get a unfied front together to approach the park administrator, but I also fear that this will lead to more bureaucracy and red tape. However, if we went to him as a group rather than an individual, then maybe he'd see that we're not just a crazy guy with a hankerin' for messin' up trees. We could arrange for an on-site demonstration to show him that we use safe climbing practices, both for us and the trees. Maybe we could scout out a few trees and propose them as 'homebase' trees. Maybe we could climb on a trial basis, so they could see that we're not cowboys with no regard for safety or the environment. We could propose to take care of the trees we climb, ie-clearing deadwood, cleaning them up, which would decrease problems with stuff falling on regular park users. We could offer to clean up the area around the trees we climb by picking up trash, etc. The more we could propose to do to improve the park in order to get what we want, the better. How can they refuse free volunteer efforts to improve and beautify a city park? We'd need to show him that we know a lot about which trees are safe to climb and which are hazards, ie-that we are trained and knowledgeable. This way we could survey them for the city's maintenance folks. Nick, I don't know if you noticed or not, but Druid Hill Park has certain problem areas of open-air drug dealing and other loitering issues. It is beyond me as a resposible adult how an institution (city park officials, city government, police) can deny us of what I see as our god given right to climb trees when they can't even control the drug dealing in the park. Just up the road and also within the park is the Baltimore Zoo. I have been working on a project there for the past 2 years and have gotten to know several of the higher-up people in that organization. They actually have one of those mobile climbing walls in the zoo that you can climb for a few bucks. Kids seem to love it because it is always busy. How great it would be to introduce those kids to the wonders of climbing trees. The zoo is also heavily involved in education programs, like conservation. Wouldn't it be cool to get sponsorship from the zoo to start a grove, and they could market it under their education initiative. Just look at that post on this web board from the guy who climbed up to the eagles nest to retrieve the transmitter. Davey tree does all of the tree care work on the zoo grounds, and I've gotten to know one of the main guys. I'm curious as to whether they do any of the tree maintenance out in the park. If they do they could be an invaluable resource for us as they have some professional clout. All said and done Druid Hill could become a great climbing grove for the DC/Baltimore area. To pull it off would take some hard work, and some even harder convincing of the right people. I'm wiiling to give it a try with some help from the rest of the tree climbing community. I feel that the only way to achieve our goals is to work as a group as a united front.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123746 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Druid Hill...is it the place to be?
So I climbed this tree is Druid Hill Park today....AWESOME TREE!!!!!! I am sure it was an oak, but am not sure what kind. IT was maybe 60' tall and must've spread out 70'!

Good climb.

So I got the contact info. I will be talking to the head of the Baltimore Forestry Department. I want to find out what kind of tree that was that I climbed, but more importantly, I want to see if we can climb at the park...LEGALLY.

Wish me luck. This place is a tree climbers heaven full of tons of beautiful oaks, maples, tulip trees, beeches, and more!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123750 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Climbng in the park
You might want to present some testimonial material from folks who have been climbing in park land legally. Contact Abe Winters at www.treeclimbingusa.com. He has been climbing in municipal areas with best wishes from the governing bodies for many years now.

The two main issues you will face is liability and damage to the trees. Public lands have "land use statutes" that protect them from injuries of this sort. That's why you can ride bicycles and fish on public land without being able to sue the parks if an accident occurs. People use the property on a voluntary basis. No money or permitting is involved in its use- hence the land use statutes protect the authorities from suits.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123751 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Baltimore, MD

Originally posted by Treeman
No money or permitting is involved in its use- hence the land use statutes protect the authorities from suits.

Maybe that depends on the type of park it is. Arbor Quest just worked with the Parks and Rec departments in two different cities in the Detroit area to provide climbs for kids and adults. The people signed up for the programs through the cities; we did the climbs. We have liability coverage as a non-profit; Nick that'll probably be the first question they ask you - "do you have liability coverage?" In order to get liability coverage, you probably have to be incorporated as a business. Let us know what the city says.
Patrick

• rtrem12
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123763 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic Permission
There are two distinct differences in the purpose of climbing. First is climbing for your own recreation. Second is conducting a climb for a group. In the first case, it is no different than using the walking paths, biking, barbequing....you are using the facilities for your own personal enjoyment. My opinion is that as long as you are not injuring the trees (or even appearing like you are), the authorities would not have and would not be willing to hassle you. Remember, hassling you requires paperwork on their part! That is not to say that on any given day you would not run into a jerk or someone just having a bad day.

The scenario is much different if you are teaching a course or running a program that you are charging money for. In this case you are using public lands for private gain. I think you would have a hard time explaining this to the head of the park authorities.

I realize that the tree climbing community is grappling with this issue. Part of the danger in asking permission is that it forces the question. Think about how your city council would deal with this. There is undoubtedly someone who will find a problem with what you are doing, or think it may be, "a slippery slope" and what will they want to do next.

My personal feeling is that as long it is public access land, I am only climbing for your own enjoyment (no $ changing hands), and there is no posted or stated prohibition, then I don't ask permission. Otherwise, I ask permission.

I have never had problems on public land. I've been seen climbing by police and public works crews without problems. The three times I have asked permission to climb on private land (churches and someone's backyard), I have been turned down.

That's my $0.02

Bob

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123842 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Baltimore, MD
Who would be interested in a formal climbing get together in Druid hill park this fall (I shoulda said "autumn." Tree climbers don't like the word "fall.")

If I do get the blessing of Baltimore City, I think this would be a good way to say thanks, by actually showing that WE are going to take advantage of their kindness.

It's not that far of a drive from DC and philly. 3 hrs or less from jersey.

love
nick

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123849 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Baltimore, MD
This sounds interesting, Nick--I'd like to explore it. I'm in the DC area and can get to Druid in under an hour.

Today, a friend from Baltimore told me of another park there that should be even better for climbing.

I'll send you an e-mail about this.

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123955 by josh123
Replied by josh123 on topic Let's do it...
Nick, you and I have been throwing around the Druid Hill Park idea for some time. Like I said before, I've climbed several trees in Druid Hill, and would love to do more. That 'looking over my shoulder' thing has always bothered me, though, and has kept mee from getting more involved. I can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you want to e-mail me about setting something up.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds