Still Climbing

• beechbum
  • beechbum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129247 by beechbum
Still Climbing was created by beechbum
I haven't posted anything lately but I am still climbing when the temperature permits.
The other day a friend of mine called and asked me if I would remove a dead branch from a pine tree that was in danger of falling on his pigeon house. I went and took a look at it and thought it was something that I could do without hurting myself! The best branch for a tie in was near the top and considering that I would have to throw from almost directly below the tree I didn't know if I could hit it or not. I managed to get the throwline over the branch after about 50 throws. I left the throwline in the tree and decided to come back the next day to climb it. So the next day I get there and start to rig the climbing rope. I tied in to the throwline and hoisted up the rope. I got the bark saver on the branch and when I pulled on both ends to release the knot my throwline came undone and the weight of the rope pulled it back over the branch and it fell to the ground! Dang. So I pulled out the throwbag and tried to get it back over the branch. 50 throws and many tangles later, with my friend standing there watching me, I hadn't even come close to the branch! So I reevaluated the situation and decided to try for a lower branch that would be easier to hit. I throw the bag, it hits the trunk of the tree and bounces UP and OVER the original branch that I wanted to use! LOL. Of course I said "I meant to do that". Long story short I got the branch down without hurting myself or the pigeon house.

Setting up, my daughter is helping:

On the way up

Almost there

View from the top

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129248 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Accuracy vs Elevation
Hey Beechbum at least you did get to the top eventually. Never have someone looking while you are throwing it definitely messes up your acuracy. It never fails. There is a conspiracy between the tree and the throwline to make you look foolish in front of strangers . Thanks for the pictures.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129251 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Still Climbing
Yep, paying the throwbag dues, but soon enough you won't be singing the blues cause your throws will fly (most of the time) over the moon.

When you sink it on the first shot, it's almost a letdown. Hey! I'm not ready to climb yet, how about a couple more throws?

Going for lower branches usually gets you into the tree faster while others (like myself) are still on the ground going for the high branch.
-moss

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129257 by jimk123
Line setting reminds me so much of water torture. On the surface, it appears to be a benign activity. As time passes with each tick of the clock, it only seems like one more throw will do it ...only one more twig to pull out of the line...only one more bird's nest to straighten...only, only, only... What demonic spirit invented throw line setting? I googled Throwline Helpline and nothing appeared. There is no 1 800 number to call. Apparently we're on our own. It's a dark dimensionless world.

It's very true that as more people watch line setting the more stupid the throw weight becomes. Perhaps this explains why line setting has never made it to prime time TV. I have made single throw sets - deep in the woods where there were no witnesses. I've never have done that within 2 miles of civilization.

Once better weather allows me to venture out, I want to experiment with the aimless line throw from 4' ("alt F4" like the infamous keystroke). It goes like this. I throw my highest when I throw backwards over my head. Guess how I discovered that one? There are fewer branches on the interior of the tree. Indeed they're more open. The theory is that any high arching throw made 4 feet out from the trunk will advantageously land somewhere. Then I select my target limb below that line and isolate it by hoisting and dropping a secondary line. Really, what is there to loose? Efficiency?....pffffffffff....

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds