Winter climb

• dannyc
  • dannyc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129162 by dannyc
Winter climb was created by dannyc
Had some time today after getting out of work. Sun was shining 22degrees. Why not get the throw lines out and see how i do after a few weeks hiding from the cold. Got a bag stuck about 55 feet up a black locust , it wrapped around a dead stub. Now i had a reason to climb! Got out another line and after many throws got it in the top crotch at about 65 feet. Pulled up my friction saver and rope got all my knots set and went inside to warm up. Came back out ready to go , hooked up and away i went. Trimmed all the dead branches up to 50 feet got the bag back and hung out and enjoyed the view, not for long though. A nice slide down and gear quickly stowed, back inside where it is warm. 22 degrees and 20 mph wind. Not bad with warm clothes and kept moving. The wind kept me close to the stem with a lanyard . A great way to spend a winter afternoon.

climb safe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129163 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Winter climb
Ahhh 22 degrees - a nice balmy day... It's really pretty pleasant in the warmer end of below-freezing, provided you've gotten your body used to it. Anyway, who'd want to wait 3-5 months to climb again?

I've never tried a black locust; around here they are stunted from winter top-kill, and what few we have look pretty thorny.

• dannyc
  • dannyc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129172 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic Winter climb
Yeah they are thorny. I love the way they grow though. This one is about 80 feet at the tip and has some great horizontal branches. Great for lines or for sitting and relaxing. This tree has a great branch at 30 feet I cant wait to get my son up to sit on and hang out with him. Its been to cold.
climb safe

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds