Scout spiderweb

• pantheraba
  • pantheraba's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128907 by pantheraba
Scout spiderweb was created by pantheraba
There are some pictures from this past weekend at the site below. The troop backpacked into the camping area. Several of the Scouts worked to create a "spiderweb platform" in a large oak tree. The goal was to be able to set up a tent on the platform. We ran out of daylight....the platform was completed and ready to use...maybe next time.

http://gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?p=79831#post79831

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128908 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic Scout spiderweb
I tried to attach this as a teaser...let's see if it worked this time.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128909 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Scout spiderweb
that is excellent cool panthro! did you orchestrate the whole outing? were there any liability issues? how did you train the scouts? where did you get all that rope?! i remember my scouting trips. they usually involved long death marches through the wilderness without much explanation about where we were or what we were doing. we definately never did anything fun like climb trees! you are giving them a good experience that they will always remember. what kind of oak tree were you climbing. is it a common oak in your area?

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128914 by pantheraba
I'm pretty sure it is a quercus phellos (willow oak). We did the training on site, just took our time. The perimeter rope was a 1/2 inch, 120' "tree rope" that I use to lower limbs. The web ropes were from a 55 gallon drum full of rope that we have...we got a lot of misc. length and mixed diameter rope from a rope mfgr, scraps they cannot use...all new, perfect condition, they just vary from 10 feet to 50 feet. It has been a great resource for the troop.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128916 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Climbing Cool Pictures
Hey Gary, It looks like you were having more fun than the scouts as usual! I think that scouts / kids today are more interested in seating in from of the TV blasting at alien games than being outside hanging from a tree or hiking up a trail with a pack. Sorry situation. I have been involved with a local troop for many years and I can see that current scouts are less active, less interested in outdoors and less willing to tackle hard tasks. We even have a hard time recruiting adult parents to participate regularly! We do rappellin, Black powder rifle shooting, canoeing, backpacking, Biking, Summer camp events and used to have high adventure treks to Colorado and the Boundary waters of Canada-US. Quite a bit of diverse opportunities for kids and adults. I'm slowing down in my old age! Once we did a survival camp that they needed to instal a platform 6 feet up in tree, tie it all together and get every member of their patrol up to avoid a "flood" in a some limited time frame

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128918 by pantheraba
Desi,

Sounds like a great troop...I like the activities y'all do...much like us. Hopefully, giving the young ones a variety of activities will tweak their interest in being active and not couch potatoes.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds