Beautiful First Real Climb

• burt
  • burt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128842 by burt
Beautiful First Real Climb was created by burt
Saturday and Sunday were almost shirtsleeve weather here in Carolina. I took my new gear and went for a long hike up the ridge overlooking Asheville. I found myself a very nice pine a few feet off the top of the ridge and did my first real tree climb up to a nice big limb about thirty feet up. Beautiful view.

Next time I come I will bring my backpacking gear and spend the night at the base of the tree and try to be in the top for the sunrise.

A really great reason to go for a hike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128843 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
Burt,

Glad you had a good outing. What equipment/technique did you use?

Also, as far as sleeping at the base of the tree you should consider getting a Treeboat (look at New Tribe)....that way you can sleep in the trees and already be up there in the morning. I have my Tree Boat in the mail for my Christmas present.

Later

Troy

• burt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128850 by burt
Replied by burt on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
Dude: Chameleon rope and Double rope with a Blakes friction hitch. I have a New Tribe harness. Petzl William screw-lock carabiners.

I'm not sure about spending money on a treeboat. I already own a portaledge and I've spent enough nights on it to think that it might be just as good as a hammock.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128851 by dude512
Replied by dude512 on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
Did you use a bark saver? Will keep you rope from getting all covered in sap.

I've tried a few but my favorite is the 30" Su Rope Sleeve from new tribe. For some reason or another all they sell is the 18" version now.

Lots of discussion on portaledge Vs Treeboat. I've slept in neither so can't really say.

Later

Troy

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128854 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
Portaledge sounds good to me. I love my treeboat but a portaledge can be hung on a telephone pole if necessary. The treeboat requires enough distance between two branches and/or a branch and the trunk. Can be challenging to find a place to hang on some trees. It's less gear intensive than a portaledge it's just fabric and webbing. There are pro's aand cons to be weighed for each climber's needs. If you already have a portaledge you're all set.

Congrats Burt on your first "real" climb!
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128858 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Tree Boat Experiences
I agree with Moss on the difficulties on setting one up in the tree. The right branches had to be close by in the right alignment kind of way or you will take quite a while to set it right with extra webbing etc. It takes experience to get it set right - I assume. Another issue (for me) is the "Unnatural" posture of being in the boat. My knees can not bend in the right direction so I have sleep on one side with the legs bent down which is somehow uncomfortable. Other than that they are Ok and I am not opposed to owning one if you are camping on trees or campout anywhere for that matter. They can be used at low level also in a regular city park as far as two trees are close enough to hold the treeboat! Others with more experience settting them up will shime in soon I hope.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128862 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
If you set your pencil down on the portaledge, then lean over to get something...say goodbye to the pencil!

I typically find myself carrying a lot of...junk...up with me when I treeboat. Food, water, book, headlamp, gloves, hat, sometimes a gameboy (not kidding), camera, pillow....the list goes on.

I'd be dropping things left and right if on a portaledge.

I like my Treeboat. I've slept in it over 100 nights, and I just learned from Viola at the Rendezvous that it could be tightened up MUCH tighter than what I was doing, so now it's even MORE comfy!

Welcome to tree climbing, burt. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• burt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128921 by burt
Replied by burt on topic Beautiful First Real Climb
Went into the Ellicott's Rock wilderness again yesterday and did a climb in a large beech tree along one of the feeder streams that empty into the river there. Cool, but not real cold and I had the forest to myself. A very nice way to spend a day in the woods. I've decided that I really like beech trees.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds