TreeoCache 002 - APPROVED

• pantheraba
  • pantheraba's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128838 by pantheraba
TreeoCache 002 - APPROVED was created by pantheraba
OK, Nick, I did it...# 2 is "tucked-in", high in a willow oak tonight...a crescent moon is setting as the new treeocache settles in for its first night alone in a tree.

N uh-oh W uh-oh

I just found out my cache is 323 feet away from another ground cache...has to be min. 528 feet away (0.1 mile)

It is located in a county park less than 300 yards from the main road. Parking is in an area where people are always welcome. You can park within 100 feet of the tree..

It's in a black plastic cylinder, about 4 inches diameter and 6 inches tall. The contents are items that might be useful:.

Contents:

magnetic key holder
marble
red scrubber pad
micro clamp
approx. 15 feet accessory cord
tennis ball
bungee cord
log sheet, pen, pencil in baggie

This is the world’s second Treeocache. It is located high up in a tree, about 45-50 feet above ground. The first branch is much higher than you can reach jumping, about 20 feet up. You can't really just climb the trunk...it is almost 5 feet in diameter, over 14 feet circumference at breast height.

I expect the finder to have a pre-existing knowledge of tree climbing techniques that are safe for the climber AND the tree. For more info, see www.treeclimbing.com

Park at N nope W nope

Look for a bigger-than-most-others quercus phello standing alone...the nearest other tree is about 100 feet away...and the nearest fence is just outside the dripline, about 100 feet north.

You might want to taker a throwline up into the tree with you...if you don’t choose just the right limb you may have to traverse to another main lead. I set my line from the N side of the tree.

The area does flood periodically from a nearby creek..take care not to get your gear muddy. I would have a tarp to set gear on, just in case.

Obviously, this cache is not for everyone.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128839 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic TreeoCache 002 - APPROVED
nice work panthro!!! how did you secure the black plastic cylinder to the tree? i've been trying to figure out something that will last but not harm the tree in any way. ideas?

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128840 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic TreeoCache 002 - APPROVED

Originally posted by Sitka
nice work panthro!!! how did you secure the black plastic cylinder to the tree? i've been trying to figure out something that will last but not harm the tree in any way. ideas?

Check this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/yd6kez

I explained a little there...basically, I used a running bowline so that as the tree grows the bowline will expand to accommodate the growth. Also, Nick had the idea of maybe using a counterweight...might work.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128841 by pantheraba
Problem....

I just found out my cache is 323 feet away from another ground cache...has to be min. 528 feet away (0.1 mile)

I'll have to retrieve and restash.

Later.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128944 by pantheraba
It's OFFICIAL ... Treeocache 2 is APPROVED!!!

I restashed it yesterday and they approved it last night..hoorah!

If any of you local guys/gals want an excuse to climb a tree, here it is.

See if this will get you to the info...you may have to sign up at geocache.com to get the details.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f39d8a-b5b1-4b16-8520-bc1641c8551e

or input this waypoint GCXWFW on the
geocaching homepage (far right, about 30 lines down is a waypoint window.)

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128948 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Good work! Anybody else?
Good work Pantheraba. How often do you check a site? It appears you can do a visual drive by on this setting.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• pantheraba
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128953 by pantheraba

Originally posted by Treeman
How often do you check a site? It appears you can do a visual drive by on this setting.

I just established it 3 days ago...I figure to check it once a month or so...more often if I am bored, maybe. You are right, I can drive to it...IF the creek hasn't flooded.

At present, the water level is about 10 feet below the banks...I saw evidence where the water had been about 20 feet ABOVE the bank (flotsam and debris up in the trees). There is sometimes very significant flooding.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds