The Fog

• sitka12
  • sitka12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128798 by sitka12
The Fog was created by sitka12
So, I got off work early today and decided to go back and check on the note I wrote for the mystery rec climber that left their throw line in a fir tree that I happened to climb (see post http://www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=1020 ). I brought my camera this time and a new plastic bag to put my note in.

But, it turned out to be so foggy that climbing was not fun or even a good idea. So, after checking my note, I bagged the climb and headed home. As I was driving, I was of course spending more time looking at the trees than the road and I spotted a disproportionately large incense cedar. I quickly swerved off the road to this mud trail that 4x4's use so that I could get a better look. Well, I parked my truck, and got out but the truck started rolling backward. So, I jumped back in but it wouldn't start! It was completely dead!

So, the truck continued to roll backward until it was completely blocking this mud road. The truck still wouldn't start and a guy comes up in his truck wanting to get by. I asked him if he could squeeze by because my truck won't start. He tried but ended up ramming his front end into a ditch and scraping the undercarriage to get out. Eventually he got past and together we tried to fix my truck, but gave up. So, I got a ride halfway back home from the guy and walked the rest of the way (only a couple miles), grabbed some tools and got my brother to give me a ride back to the truck.

Back at the truck, I found a piece had disconnected from my clutch so that the engine wouldn’t start. Easy fix. But as I was fixing it, another guy in a jeep starts tearing down the mud road toward me. Then, he lost traction, slid sideways and got to a point where he was about to roll. He tried to get out but was completely stuck in some deep ruts. He stepped out of his jeep and was looking pretty worried, but I had my truck running and was able to use a tow strap to pull him back onto the trail!

The point??? I'm not sure there is one except that it's feels good to pass on acts of kindness. Here's a couple pictures from the day. And, I did get one of the incense cedar, which I plan to climb when I have another spare moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128799 by moss
Replied by moss on topic The Fog
Good report, you made the best of a difficult day in the woods.

I am a little concerned by the mysterious black caterpillar on your face in one of the photos!
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128800 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic The Fog
Sizzle, you are as wack as ever!!! And we love you for it....

That first picture is great...love the fog.

Great story...glad it all worked out; nobody hurt, just muddy. Good deal.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

• sitka12
  • sitka12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128801 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic The Fog
I'll take that as a compliment Panthro!

Moss, here in the PNW, the elusive fur-backed caterpillars are a delicacy. However, they are very hard to catch. One must stand perfectly still with the mouth wide open for several hours until the caterpillar unwittingly wanders in.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds