the mother of all trees

• SRT-Tech
  • SRT-Tech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128537 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic the mother of all trees
well, my VALHALLA tree is full of rotten goodness....lots of top cavities filled with soggy goop and moss, mostly a foot out from the truck on each limb. :( There IS about 4 stout limbs i can anchor to safely, but the rest are No Go.

Seems to be the norm for trees in that portion of the park.

I would LOVE to prune and remove deadwood from that tree, but i fear the local district would hang me from the same tree. They did'nt take kindly to my suggestion that sevral trees with huge dead limbs over a popular hiking path be pruned.....oph well, guess it will take a dead jogger of hiker to spur them into action... :(

BTW, this is the treeclimbign saw i own, compact, cuts FAST and clean, adn fits into a nice holster on my belt:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128540 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic the mother of all trees
I could write volumes about constables or stewards of wooded areas that think they are doing “good” when they protect killer trees. Such ignorance annoys me. <sigh>

There is a particular Beech tree that I found on one of my tree-searches. I have visited the tree several times over the last few years. It is big, old, and beautiful, but was in need of maintenance. With some assistance from a fellow climber, over a two year period, we have cleaned her up quite nicely. In spite of buckshot wounds in her trunk from local hunters, that ol’ Beech should last many more years.

As for your folding saw. . .
Nice tool.
That is perfect for rec climbing.
Thanks for posting the graphic too!

From reading your posts I’ll assume that the local district knows that you are “out and about” in their trees. An interesting situation.

Keep hunting for the perfect climber. It’s out there! :)
-Ej-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds