Treeocache 1

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128114 by nickfromwi
Treeocache 1 was created by nickfromwi
Here it is, fellow climbers. The first Treeocache ever (and by "ever" I mean, "that I know of").

So here's the details...I have it marked in my GPS as Waypoint TOC001 . You'll note that the number I've assigned means I think there'll eventually be more in the future.

Wanted...Dead or Alive
N 39*03.916' W077*33.017'
UTM 18S E 0279355 N 4327166
Use Waypoint: TOC001

It's in a bright orange Pelican Case. I had some friends help fill the cache and eventually a theme came to be known. It should be painfully obvious as you see the list of goodies included...

Contents:
RED:Triple Clutch YoYo
ORANGE: 8oz throw bag
YELLOW: 1.75mm Zingit, spliced by me
YELLOW/GREEN: Dynaflex Arm Strengthener
GREEN: TCI Tree Climber's Log, green
BLUE: All State collapsible frisbee
PURPLE: Cocktail Umbrella

Also Included:
Sherrill Footlocker sticker
TCI "Get High, Climb Trees" sticker
SuperBall (bouncy ball)

I guess that's all you need to get started. It's in the woods, but I got a good reading where I was. Most of the trees in this patch of woods are not very big, maybe 15" DBH or less. There is a 21" DBH red maple (acer rubrum) maybe 30' away, that might be of interest.

Good luck. Keep us updated!

love
nick

A huge thanks goes out to Tree Climbers International for donating a few things to the first Treeocache! Patti and Peter, thanks for keeping things fun!

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128115 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic A picture
To maybe spark some interest...

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128118 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Treeocache 1
There's one or two things left to decide. When I first decided to make a treeocache, I basically knew nothing in regards to geocaching. I assumed it was all about getting the prize. AFTER I installed this cache, I decided to research the plethora of info available at gegocaching.com. I now realize that for most people, the interest lies in the hunt, rather than the cache itself. The geocaching website has a list of several TYPES of caches. Click Here to see their list.

So, what do you wanna do with this one? Here are the options I see.

1. Someone finds it, it all now belongs to them. Game over.

2. Someone finds it, takes all of the stuff, fills it with all new stuff, hangs it somewhere else.

3. Someone finds it, takes some of the stuff, adds a few new things, hangs it right where it was.

4. Somone finds it, takes all the stuff, fills it with new stuff, puts it somewhere else.

5. Someone finds it, takes some of the stuff, fills it with a few new things, rehangs it where they got it.

6. No one finds it, nick goes and takes it down in a year or so.

So take all of it or some of it? Put it back, or put it somewhere else?

love
nick

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128144 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Wow! We have a starter!
History in the making! We have a first here. Way to go! You finally got going on this and more of us can now follow. Thanks for providing the initiave and inspiration.

Keep an eye on the edges of the box. In the South squirrells have a bad need to chew, and plastic is about as good as bone. Some silica gel might keep the paper from getting damp from condensation.

Another version of a cache can be made with a piece of 4 or 6 inch diameter PVC tubing. Put an end cap on one side that is glued on (fixed) and put a threaded end on the other side. PVC tends to get stuck and a threaded end makes it possible to screw it off if it gets too sticky. The rounded shape sheds rodent bites too. Hang with a steel cable. I affix the cable to a small lag threaded (16 of an inch) screw eye. This was the design I used when I hung tree registers in the old days.

Who else is going to put one up? How difficult of a climb are you going to shoot for? Do we mention difficulty ratings on the descriptions or let climbers find out by themselves?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128374 by mateo12
Replied by mateo12 on topic Treeocache 1
I like option #2. If I'm going to drive to get this little baby... which is a ways away from me, I want to enjoy whats there! now all I need is a GPS... hmm...

mateo

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128383 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Treeocache 1
Way cool, Nick!

Option #3 is my vote.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is not within driving distance for me.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128385 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic OK I'll Bite
Alright Nick...what's the name of the airport? Ahhh...Leesburg Municipal... And is that cache on private property?
How about parking...I've got a little time off due me, and I'm thinking a little adventure is in the works...

On the Hunt! It's only 397mi from me! Actually only a short side trip to my Uncle's house, my kids have been bugging me to go visit...

It's traditional to post a hint, as well; given that you may have not taken an average reading of the trees location over a period of several minutes, and that looks to be a pretty well wooded area, the specific tree might be nice to identify.

By the way...what kind of critter is that in the lower left of that picture...looks just like Spaz, my cat!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128387 by nickfromwi
Wow....a bite already? This is easier than fishing!

It IS private property. But it's a place where people are always welcome. There are no trespassing signs in certain areas, so don't cross those.

Hints? Let me think about that for a day or two.

I really want whoever finds this thing to take it down and bring it somewhere else. The area that it is in...well...not the neatest place in the world. You'll see when you get there.

Now that I am much more well versed in what geocaching is all about...I know the first finder is going to have to bring a little notebook to serve as the cache log so everyone that finds can make a record that they found it.

Better yet, you find it, take it down, bring it home, then contact me, I'll find a good notebook, add the first log for having installed the first cache, then I mail you the notebook, you add it to the cache then hang the thing back up somewhere good.

To anyone else thinking about going to find this thing...act quick...You've read Icabod's posts about leaving stuff in the woods...you know if he gets it he'll take it down and never put it back up!!! :D

Oh, Cam..the critter in the lower left of the pic..next to my flip-flopped foot is the wool-sock baring foot of my friend Travis.

love
nick

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128390 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic AM I A MUGGLER?
Nah...y'all got it started. If I get it I know exactly where it'll go next, but it'll be on public property, and WAY out. I like multi caches, so it might be a trick or two to find. Then again, the wife said no to a trip to Barney's house, but if I get some money that she isn't aware of...

I was thinking about securing it too. I think there are some possiblities that could not hurt the tree.

A socked foot huh? Poor Spaz, he'll never live down the shame!

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128391 by nickfromwi
About attaching it to the tree...I'll admit I didn't give that part as much attention as I could have to the attachment part of things.

First of all, let's just say there's a little suprise when it comes to the rigging of this particular cache. It might require a little creativity.

I thought of an idea. I can go to a junk yard, get some 2" seatbelt straps, sew some velcro on, and use those to hold the thing onto branches. Wide webbing won't cut in to the tree.

Any thought?

love
nick

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128392 by nickfromwi
I've submitted this at geocaching.com...the hints are there. It has to be approved by a reviewer first. Then it'll get posted and I'll get the link up here, so we can see the hints (if you need them!)

love
nick

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128413 by mateo12
Replied by mateo12 on topic Treeocache 1
I can't find it on the geocache website? I tried searching for the coordinates and it gave me a few 2142 results!! And what name/keyword is it under? Thanks!

mateo

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128414 by nickfromwi
It'll be a couple more days. Apparently, when you post a cache at their site, it has to get reviewed, first. They saw that I am in CA and the cache is not, so they were suspect as to how I can be responsible for it. I have that part taken care of, but they didn't care. So I'm going to make another account saying I live where my friend (who lives by the cache) lives, then resubmit it. I'll go do that now.

love
nick

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128417 by nickfromwi
I just found out, they are enabling the cache....stay tuned!

(I don't know how long that takes...5 minutes, a day?)

love
nick

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128422 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Here it is....
Now officially a part of geocaching.com

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2686c8b2-4dc6-4096-8732-6679daa6c26b

It is named Treeocache 1, for those that are interested.

I wonder if this might slowly, eventually bring some interest into rec tree climbing, too?

love
nick

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds