Birthday Climb

• beechbum
  • beechbum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128039 by beechbum
Birthday Climb was created by beechbum
I went out on my bike earlier this week scouting out some trees. I found a couple of nice ones in the woods near my house. Yesterday I climbed one of them. It was my first climb in which I used the other end of the rope and set a higher TIP. It wasn't that much higher than my original but it was a first for me!
Only problem with the tree is that it is right next to a highway so it was hard to enjoy the experience with the constant drone of all the cars! I have to find a more secluded spot. I don't want to bore everybody with my noob climbing pics but in case there are more beginners like me lurking in the forum here is a link. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattwoodruff/sets/72157594232933564/
My wife got me a tree identification book for my birthday, I'm so excited!
Woody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128040 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Birthday Climb
BeechBum

Very nice photos, its great that you are documenting your first climbs. I wish I would have had photos from some of my first climbs. As one of my mentors once told me - journal, journal, journal - its the key to your progress.

I see you're climbing in the "tengu", I would love to hear some feedback about the saddle.
Is it broken in yet? If so, how many hours of climbing did it take to break it in?
Have you slept in the trees with it?
Have you done any backcountry climbing where you had to hike in with it?
Is it as light weight and silent as you'd like it to be?
etc.
Any feedback would be great.

ps- is that Cato as your icon on your flicker site?
Long live Bruce!

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128041 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Birthday Climb
Congrats on your first climbs Woody, it's a great adventure that you've started. There's nothing like the first handful of climbs, there's so much learning that goes on, every climb is full of excitement. And as far as I can tell it never stops after that.

Looking forward to hearing your comments on the Tengu saddle as well. Maybe there will be a few to try out at the Rendezvous?
-moss

• beechbum
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128056 by beechbum
Replied by beechbum on topic Tengu saddle observations
Thanks for the feedback Moss, and Tengu!

That is Cato! Bruce Lee is my idol!

I would be glad to share my observations about your namesake saddle although I admittedly don't have much to compare it too as I have never tried any other saddle.

Is it broken in yet? If so, how many hours of climbing did it take to break it in?
- Not yet. I have around 30 climbs, probably 15 hours, on it and the back foam is just starting to soften up a little bit. The legs are still much stiffer than the back.

Have you slept in the trees with it?
-No. I am still a big time noob! I can't wait until I have enough experience to even consider doing it though.

Have you done any backcountry climbing where you had to hike in with it?
-Not really back country but I have worn it as I hiked from my house to the woods. I actually like the back support while hiking especially with my gear bag on my back. I tend to tighten it up more when walking than when climbing. The quick release leg straps clank a bit as I walk but not enough to bother me.

Is it as light weight and silent as you'd like it to be?
-Lightweight YES!!! Silent - climbing - yes ,walking - almost.

Overall I couldn't be happier with it. I LOVE the wide back belt. It is very comfortable especially when hanging for any length of time. I can only imagine it getting more comfortable as the foam softens up a little bit more.
*disclaimer* I have only done DdRt with it.

Tengu, If I ever get to meet you in person will you autograph my saddle !?!

Peace,
Woody

• Guardabosques
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128058 by Guardabosques
Replied by Guardabosques on topic Birthday Climb
As a noob myself, I can appreciate your photos.

Untill last week I have only climbed mostly medium-sized oaks. But I got a hot tip from a local on a giant Ponderosa pine with almost a four foot dbh. The tree lives on an island in a lake and I had to boat to it.

Well, I wish I had my camera to document my most amazing solo climb experience to date (not very many)! The tree isn't very high as far as pines go, but it sure is burly with lot's of attachment points on branches over 15 inches thick.

Hopefully the next time I climb it I will have time to go higher than half-way AND I will have my camera!

Lucas

• beechbum
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128052 by beechbum
Replied by beechbum on topic Pictures!
Lucas,
Sounds like an incredible place to climb! If you go again by all means take some photos, I would love to see them.

Peace,
Woody

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds