White Pine climb with Big Shot entry

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127816 by moss
After some successful test shots with an improvised Big Shot trigger release and a 2:1 adjustable tensioning system I took the slingshot to a wild White Pine to test it under real conditions.
Photos

It worked great, had 100% accuracy over 3 shots at a narrow target zone over a 60 ft. branch. A fourth shoot failed when the throwline tangled on launch. In earlier tests I put a 10 oz bag well over the top of an 80 ft. spruce with the pouch pulled slightly more than half the length of the 8' pole. I think with an 8 oz bag that I'll be able to shoot high enough for anything on the east coast.

The trigger is modeled after a hot air balloon tether release, from a photo on the web. It works but is not ideal. The main problem is that it takes up about a foot and a half of length in the rig which means I get less extension of the sling than I would otherwise. I've ordered the Wichard quick release snap from Sherrill to replace the balloon tether release. It's the best commercially available release that I know of. When I integrate the Wichard ino the tensioning system I'll post more detailed photos.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127818 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Thanks for the pictures
Moss, Thanks for sharing your pictures. Good Job. I posted some comments on some of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds