Columbus Oh Climbers Meet and Ascend JJ

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127794 by jimk123
Following our initial contact in this forum some 18 months ago, Jordan and I finally met for a climb this past Sunday. Keep in mind that we live about 4 miles from each other. The climb was in a towering Cottonwood situated between the Olentangy River and Rt315 North of I-270. The tree is distinctive enough to leave an image on Google Earth. I've been in this tree several times, but it was Jordan's first experience with it. The tree has now been named JJ - after the two climbers.

I've only named two trees thus far. The other is a Tulip Poplar in Pennsylvania, named AJ. On my third tree naming, I may expand my nomenclature to use three letters!

There's something mystical about RTC that connects us. Jordan and I will be working on future climbs. My vision is that central Ohio could host a regional RTC event.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127796 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Columbus Oh Climbers Meet and Ascend JJ
Nice going Jim, there's nothing like getting together with fellow climbers. It's great that you two live so close by.

The cottonwood looks familiar from your postings on the releasable throwbag project. Safe to assume that it's an Eastern Cottonwood, Populus deltoides?. I'd like to hear more about the tree, have you measured the trunk diameter? Any comments on climbing in it?
Thanks,
-moss

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127797 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Columbus Oh Climbers Meet and Ascend JJ
Moss,

I always appreciate your sharpness on the details. Yes, this is the same tree where I've posted some Throw Sock activity as well as my snow climb. It ranks as the largest tree near my home, so it's a frequent stop. I'll see what I can do about measuring and identifying it better.

If you're in Columbus sometime, we'll climb it.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds