Weekend Reports

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127354 by oldtimer
Weekend Reports was created by oldtimer
Since there is not much activity on the Board today I will just post my Weeked report observations.

I am glad to report that I did not have any "unplanned events" during this climbing weekend activities. I did a removal of a dead tree stump and thinned out some branches from a juniper tree in my back Yard. We have had this observation before that when we do "Tree Work stuff" like cutting branches and removing stuff I am provably more careful and study my moves and rigging well in advance from the ground contrary to what I may do in a purely fun climb.

This is a good thing since making mistakes while carrying cutting tools could be potentially deadly so I am extra careful. I regularly read in the Treebuzz board home someone cut his rope or his arm or something like it. They do the hazardous work because that is their job so when I try to pretend to be a tree worker I usually double and triple check everything and so far I have been lucky not to have any unfortunate events other than a couple of close calls or minor scrapes.

Still Smelling the Chain Saw Smoke!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127355 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Weekend Reports
Yep it's quiet on the boards lately.

I did some light tree work this weekend using the tool that is potentially more dangerous than a chain saw, the Silky handsaw.

Last weekend during the NJ climb I lightly bounced the blade of my folding Silky off the end of my thumb. Was doing an "emergency" pruning of a small branch that was blocking my backswing during a re-pitch for a throwbag rescue (anything for a throwbag). I did the dumb thing of holding the branch with my free hand fairly close to the cut. I was very lucky not to shred my thumb and ended up with a superficial wound which is completely healed a week later. I've used a handsaw many times in a tree and finally drew blood. I guess I had to learn my lesson sooner or later.

This weekend I cleaned up a Horse Chestnut that had dropped a 12" diameter limb during a wind storm leaving a broken stub and another torn up limb below the break. So I was hyper vigilant using my 390mm Ibuki for the first time. What a beauty of a saw, really moves through the wood. It was perfect for tree work on Easter Sunday, nice and quiet. I've retired my 16" Fanno which made me work much harder for the same kind of cut.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127356 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Weekend Reports
Good idea for a thread Oldtimer.

I myself spent two days wandering around a central Jersey swamp looking for good climbers. Not much luck, all the good trees are right on the trails. Not much privacy.

Also recovered from my hard-drive crash from last Saturday.

And moss,
Now that my computer is up again, I’ll get the photos from the Princeton Climb out to you guys shortly. (Got to get caught-up here).

And speaking of the Princeton Climb. . .
Yeah moss, your thumb was looking nasty. Being all bloody and the like. Hope your healing nicely.

Regards,
Electrojake

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127357 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic All is quiet on the front.
We did not have a TCI school climb Sunday. I cried uncle in competing with a rabbit laying eggs. I did go the the school and climbed Dianna. Both Nimrod and Dianna just leafed and there were new dead branches to trim.

Sherrill sent me one saddle to try- their Elevation with 6 soft tie in points (the black saddle). It has its own feel, which I got used to after the first hour of hanging. I climbed with the Poison Ivy rope to get a better feel of the rope too.

I was using an older ARS Razor tooth hand saw (orange plastic handle) for cutting. I was a good boy to be extra careful with the little teeth with a big bite. I think I have more body scars from past hand saw injuries than chain saw wounds ( I have a few of those too). All my wounds are flesh wounds or more precise...close calls.

That's my report. Anyone else?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• jerseyEd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127360 by jerseyEd
Replied by jerseyEd on topic Easter dinner climb
While waiting for the ham to finish cooking, my three grand children begged to go climbing again. I set my first rope (Fly) in a 30' white oak. My second rope (P.I.)in a 40' red oak. PJ (10 yr.old) Hanna(9 yr.old) and William (8yr old). This was their 5th climb and all are doing great. Hanna is a much smoother and faster climber. The New Tribe harness for kids is great, it starts them out feeling safe and comfortable. Before the kids climbed I had to trim the dead out with my favorite saw from Sherrill, the Silky Gomtaro. It comes with the sheath that has a swivel hanger and I like the one hand operation, versus a folding saw.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127361 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Weekend indeed
First time off in several months, and I spent it with my kids on the ground.

I did practice my throwbag technique though...stuck my bag 6 times over four days of on and off practice! But, I made a throw that stranded my 120' throwline, the bag dangled about 20' over my head...and noone was there to give me an attaboy!

That's like, what, 80'ish? Not too bad for me.

Treeman...you can pass that elevation along if youre not happy with it!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds