• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127334 by moss
New Jersey 4/9 climb photos was created by moss
Here are a few more photos from the Marquand Park climb:
NJ climb photos

Climber020 takes a limb walk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127339 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic New Jersey 4/9 climb photos
Great pics you took Moss. Getting to look at the pictures is almost as exciting as the climb itself.

I am thinking about putting together something to help people to learn to swing safely. Start small and swing from limb to limb or just swing off a branch into open air. Then eventually it can lead to 20+ foot swings from tree to tree. I find it to be the most exciting thing in the tree to do.

My next climb is going to be a Swinging expedition. Would like to see how far I could travel by swinging from tree to tree without coming down. Wonder if there is a world record for that? Might just have to find out so I know what to shoot for.

See you at the top.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 weeks ago - 18 years 2 weeks ago #127340 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New Jersey 4/9 climb photos
You're reading my mind. I was thinking the same thing. A swing expedition/clinic would be great. I was so busy trying to retrieve that very tenaciously stuck throwbag that I only caught parts of your moves. But you did run an excellent demonstration, now I have an idea of what elements and considerations are involved. I've been working on small limb to limb swings and just swinging into air, now I can see where it can take me.
-moss

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127364 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic New Jersey 4/9 climb photos
Princeton climb continued. . .
That was a “beefy” tree you were trying to tame.
Looks more like bouldering than tree climbing, eh?
Note: This was early in the day, (i.e. moss still had all 10 fingers) :D

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127367 by moss
Nice photo EJ, I look like a flea on the mighty red oak. Are you sure that isn't photoshoped? :-)

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127370 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Flying traverse
The tree to tree swing is known as a "flying traverse". It needs the perfect set up as far as anchor points are concerned (TIP). You must have the highest anchor possible nearest your target branch (tree). A long rope run is also needed plus a branch one can walk back on opposite the swing to create maximum swing potnetial. This move does carry some risk factor as far as back swing is concerned and getting back on the tree if you miss. Oh yes- the lanyard must be in hand and ready at the apex of the swing for a quick connection.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127372 by Electrojake
Flying Traverse. Speaking of which. . .
The CD-ROMs of the Jersey Climb of 4/9/06 are ready to ship. Each CD contains a ReadMe.txt file, 75 still shots, and 3 short videos. One of the videos I included on the disk is of Climber020 doing some flying between trees.

I’ll get the CDs out in Monday’s mail to you (Treeman) and the other climbers. That should make for some interesting conversation here.

I will need mailing addresses from JerseyEd and Climber020 so I can get this stuff mailed out to you guys.
Please email me with your info so I can ship!!!

Treeman and moss, I already have your addresses on file.

Regards,
Electrojake

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 week ago - 18 years 1 week ago #127375 by moss
Holy treefrog! EJ, that's fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the reults of your documentary efforts!

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 days ago - 18 years 2 days ago #127425 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Photos and movies received
EJ! Nice job on the Marquand Park media pack! I had no idea you were shooting video. The stills are excellent as well.

Great to see the FlyingSquirrel formerly known as Climber020 making some moves, so cool!

Any thoughts about how we can make some of this material availble on the 'net? I can rustle up some web space, let me know.
-moss

More
18 years 2 days ago - 18 years 2 days ago #127431 by Electrojake

Originally posted by moss
Any thoughts about how we can make some of this material availble on the 'net? I can rustle up some web space, let me know.
-moss

The Trouble With Tribbles
Yes Indeed! If were only possible to efficiently share these nifty little Electrojake Videos with the world.

The problem is. . .
Take my meager little web site for instance. It’s about 12 pages deep, mostly photos. The entire thing uses up about 4 megs of space on the Verizon server. Not bad considering they give me 10 megs as part of my contract, (seems like plenty of room to play, no?).

Now, lets take a movie. . .
The video I published of Climber020 flying through the trees, it was 640 x 480 and less than 2 minutes long. As you could see, the quality/resolution was somewhat low too. Yet, it was 13 megs BIG!

One stinky little video-short would blowout my entire web space! Then there is download speed. My DSL line at home is good for about 600+ kbps. That’s plenty for what I do here but even at that speed, it takes a considerable amount of time to download large file. Most users won’t wait for the download to complete.

Now-a-days there are some very impressive video codec’s available that could cut my video size in half but then there is a compatibility problem. I consider it critical that the format of the files can be played by anyone who downloads it. So I guess you could say that “fast & easy” comes at a great expense in the video world.

Burning to disk. . .
The disk I sent you was a “data” type CD-ROM. That was intentional. DVD’s, and self booting V-CD movie disks are neat stuff, and I can produce them but once again, compatibly is everything. So I keep it short and simple (ala data CD) for the sake of compatibility.

Sorry about the long-winded post but it was therapeutic. :)
Regards,
Electrojake

More
18 years 1 day ago - 18 years 1 day ago #127433 by climber020
Well I have done it so no need to fear underdog is here.
I am working on getting everything posted but for now I have the first of the three vids. Have a dentist appointment but will try to get everything. I am able to download everything to my online photo album but it takes time. A LOT OF TIME. hehehe
Well here is a link for the traverses. Will work on the other two and will hopefully have them by the end of the day :D

http://climber020nj.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=1JerseyClimber

See you at the top.

More
18 years 1 day ago - 18 years 1 day ago #127434 by climber020
OK all three vids are now up and running. Instead of posting the link I will just tell you how to view them. Click on my www link and go to the northeast get together. Go to the last page. You should see all the videos. I will be adding a sub album as well for electrojakes still shots for your viewing pleasure.
Great shots electrojake, quite impressed.

Luckily the vids only took about 3-5 minutes each to upload. Maybe you would like to consider signing up for the photoalbum I use. As a free member u get plenty of space. I have 10 free vids I can put up and being a member you get unlimited space for I think $12 a month. Just a though. But look out when loading 50 photos. It took me over an hour to load most of the photos from our climb but well worth it.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 23 hours ago - 18 years 23 hours ago #127436 by Electrojake

Originally posted by Climber020:
It took me over an hour to load most of the photos from our climb but well worth it.

Climber020,
I guess what I should have said is that “Posting and viewing this stuff on the internet is not impossible, just unpleasant”.

I do have better video equipment, and I could climb with you specifically for the intent to film the climb. The resultant “movie” would be a big step up from the low-res jpeg shorts I sent you however, its gonna be one heck of a big file.
(Perhaps there is motivation to do another film-climb, eh?
We can call it “Rocky-II”) :D

Thanks for going through the time and effort to make all this stuff available to the public.

I appreciate your efforts!
Electrojake

More
18 years 22 hours ago - 18 years 22 hours ago #127437 by climber020
It was no prob. I jsut have to do the pics I need to block about 1 1/2 hours off to do it. Also my www link wasn't working I have corrected it and it should work just fine now.

Though a personal video would be nice I like seeing different skill levels and style when viewing things like this. I have actually considered putting together a little tips and tricks video my self. My digital camera has a 1 gb card and can hold i think 20 minutes of video. Enough I think but I probally should look into getting a 5 or 10 gb card.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 22 hours ago - 18 years 22 hours ago #127438 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Climbing Videos on the WEB
Climber020, I am not sure if you have seen some of the videos posted by Ekka from Australia on the Treebuzz site. Those are cool. He has done a lot of videos about tree climbing training and tree gear stuff and has a complete library. Some of them take a while to load up but are well worth watching them. The pictures posted on the web site about that NJ climb are very nice also. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds